Need info on Bounty Hunter DE-280 Outlaw detector

dumpdigger68

Dec 24, 2009
central Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know if it's worth the expense of 14 AA batteries to try the old Bounty Hunter DE-280 outlaw detector I bought in a yard sale, with 2 search coils. When I bought it the old lady had new Energizers in it and it seemed to be working ok but the $35 price did'nt include the new batteries. I tried using some cheap Eveready batteries and the meter did'nt even flinch. I saw one on Ebay that the guy claimed he had tested using 2 9 volt batteries instead of the 14 AA that fit the carriers, he claimed it worked, does anyone have any thoughts on that idea, would be much cheaper to buy 2 9 volt instead of 14 AA if it would work but 18 volts is a bit shy of 21 volts from 14 AA's. I know it's an old relic but the lady claimed her husband found lots of coins with it and until I can afford a "real" detector maybe it'll get me started. Snow is about gone here and I'm itchin to check out some old home sites I found last hunting season. Thanks for reading and any input would be appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread