Fiskars garden knife. Wondered how long it would last....

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time out with the new detector today. Bought this garden knife to use as a digging tool until I get the chance to try some others, apparently our side lot is loaded with junk/iron/nails/etc, ......didn't quite last as long as planned:

moto_0901.jpg

Handle broke/bent while applying hardly any prying pressure, felt kinda like pot metal for the handle post. *( I ground the forked tips off when I got it the other day)

My older Glock E-tool ended up working much better for the rest of digs. The bigger shovel sure made it quicker to find the junk.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lesche M85 or Trans-Mississippi Digger. No excuses, just rugged tools.

It ain't a garden out there. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
rc2125

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed to the treasure hunting store to see what diggers they got in the morning!
Until I figure out what not to dig, I'll be needing something that will last longer than an hour. Seems there is quite a bit of junk to dig out here.

OP
OP
rc2125

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just cut the tip round, and sharpened slightly, with a disc grinder, not enough to generate any heat in the handle at all. Broke when I was gently prying up on a flap of grass. Maybe it was a shotty one, or maybe my "gently" is different than normal. I'll give them a shout.
Did order a predator M85 this morning, can't wait for that to show up.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering how much do you by this for,I bought one at my localTarget store in AUGUST of last year for $3.99,original price $25.

OP
OP
rc2125

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they were $6.99 or $5.99 at local Meijer store or local Rural King store.

Trying out an oxo brand garden knife, until I get the M85, seems purty heavy duty, very thick stainless blade (*kinda narrow width though), ......variable will be how tough the handle is when prying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread