Hard decision Whites XLT or the new V-3

Shadowmanflash

Jul 4, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150 & 250
Hey T-netters,, I've been trying to decide for months now and still haen't decided and then the V-3 comes out, I'm at a loss as to which is better, I really like what I read about the xlt and it's been around a while, but some say the new v-3 is just as awesome if not better, how about a little advice from some who have them, thanks Ken.

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
I went from the xlt to the v3 and have no complaints, be aware that it does take some learning and getting used to. Ive done pretty well with it.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not owned the XLT. I think the V3 is best suited to analytical types that like to custom tune stuff and can't leave anything alone. It is very nice out of the box, but I think the customizing of the machine's behaviour is the best part. But that's me. I'm also an IT computer type guy by profession. Others would probably want to throw in a lake out of frustration because of it. See if you can hang out with someone that owns one. I think the DFX or XLT have similar capabilities and could save you money if you don't want the V3 features.

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i own neither, and i may be wrong but i think there is an updated v-3, i think its a v-3I.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
marinedad said:
i own neither, and i may be wrong but i think there is an updated v-3, i think its a v-3I.

Correct. The V3i is a software update with additional help screens, languages, etc. As I understand no change in performance or general operation. If one were to buy a V3 today they are entitled to the update free. Personally I would try to get the updated version to avoid having to send it in for the update.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned an XLT for the past 3-years and recently, now own a V3. . . I love it.

In the long run, I think you will be happier with a V3. Obviously, it has more features
than the XLT but it also will accept a greater variety of accessory coils. . . which to me,
is really important.

You may want to check out the White's website and look at the V3 video's. . . they'll
be very helpful for you in making your final decision.

Take care,
watercolor

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is something else to think about. The M6, MXT, DFX and V3 use the same family of search coils 2.5-22.5 kHz. The XLT uses a 6.59 kHz coil that is not compatible with the models I listed. If you want an additional detector later or an upgrade you may be better off investing in coils that can be reused on more models. I'm thinking about selling my older Classic IDX and getting a M6 for a second unit so I can do just that. Kind of like buying a new car.

http://whiteselectronics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1811

picnic42

Feb 6, 2010
Frankfort, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites V3
I have both the XLT and the V3... I wanted another machine so my wife and i can detect together. As it was in the past, I would detect with my XLT and she would dig... although it was great for my back... it created a hunt and wait pattern. She would walk and wait to dig... then I would have to wait until it was dug up.
I hate to buy anything... and "could a had a V8" type of feeling after purchase! So I tend to make sure I bought with the future in mind and try to get the most for the money. The decision was... get another XLT or the new V3!
After studying and posts to forums... I decided on the V3 mainly because it appeared to be better then the XLT... a bit deeper... but much more programable. I liked the color screen, the several pin pointing screens, the ability to adjust on the fly, I love the wireless headphones (just stay out from under high power lines). All in all... I think I made the right decision... I would not be disappointed with it's functions and abilities.
I am not a programmer... and have not used the many functions of the V3... and I am slowly learning how it works... but it is a detector that I can grow into and not be dissatisfied a bit later down the road. The more I learn... I will move right into it, on the V3.
HOWEVER... lol
Peggy (peggyg827) has taken off with my old XLT... and not looking back! LOL We now use little FRS radios while we are detecting a large field. As for the results??? she is finding way more than I am... and what she finds are great finds! She has found rings, bullets, Cw buttons, a few good coins and some homestead findings... like a 1879 singer sewing machine frame! LOL
As for me... the V3 is pretty sensitive and I got a bunch to learn about it... it finds tons of stuff, I just have to learn when to dig or not. I am totally satisfied for buying the V3... but the learning curve is long and deep. Did I get the right detector for me... YES! I will grow into this very nicely. :)
I hope this helps.
Ralph & Peggy too

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
It really doesn't matter.If you become like most of us,you'll eventually own most all detectors at one time or another.Welcome to the mayhem.

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned a MXT and have used a XLT. The XLT is more compicated than most machines I've used...so if the V3 or V3i are any more compicated than the XLT to program or use...FORGET IT! I'd just buy an XLT which is all the machine you'll ever need for most hunting. BUT THE DECISION IS ULTIMATELY, YOURS!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread