Earbud Headphones... Anyone???

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
I do! Ear buds are the only headphones I ever use. Just make sure you use good quality ones. The ones that came with my Ipod work great. I don't understand why more people don't use them. I've been using them for years now. I cant put the big clunky ones on my head anymore after using earbuds. The only way to go! IMHO.

TwinStatesMD

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2010
I use earbuds too, but i needed to get a 1/4 " converter so that it would fit into my port. it tends to be very loud though.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give them a try, but I've never seen any with a coiled cord, my friend used some sony with the straight cord and hes always tangled...

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'V thinking about geting a pair myself . Mxtman2 says they work good , so I'l be picking a pair up this week. The tempt's are at 100* now .

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
extractor said:
I'V thinking about geting a pair myself . Mxtman2 says they work good , so I'l be picking a pair up this week. The tempt's are at 100* now .

Hey Bro give me a call an let me know how they worked :icon_thumleft:

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Here is my earbud setup. I use sony ear buds. Note the jack adapter, the clip I put on the cuff to help keep the wire from getting tangeled. Also note the in line volume control. Hope this helps some of you out there. HH

Attachments

• P6200009.JPG
    P6200009.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 836

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
You need a pair with inline volume, IMHO and a GOOD converter jack. I bought a cheap one and the headphones kept cutting out.

The main reason I didn't like using the earbuds is they don't block out enough of the ambient noise for me. I would really love wireless headphones but never found a solution that worked as well as i wanted without being really bulky.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Gray Ghost headphones are perfect in the cooler weather but in the summer it can get really hot and uncomfortable. I purchased a 1/4 inch adapter and a pair of in ear canal type ear buds ( they block out more ambient noise ) with a volume control, on line. Not all ear bud volume controls are the same, some adjust the volume better then others. The cost between $5.00 to $20.00 and up if you feel the need. You guessed it the more expensive ear buds had a better volume control in my case. You might have better luck then I, there are lots of them available. The one thing you have to watch out for is snagging the wire on anything. A good idea is to take tape, I used strips of duct tape around 1 inch x 3 inches long and wrapped all connections, wire into ear bud, wire into volume control (both sides), wire into plug. This just gives your ear buds a little bit more of a life expectancy. Also check the length of the cord, I found them with a 3 foot cord and also a four foot cord. If its not long enough for you to set your detector down and dig, unplug it. I carry backups. Hope this helps your ears from losing weight. Arty

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
I would love to find a pair ear buds that work kwith my detector. Normal headphones cook my head ;-)
Dan

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I suggest checking Amazon, maybe the biggest selection anywhere & has user ratings. Think some Koss earbuds get good reviews & think they're lifetime warranty but inexpensive so maybe easier to just buy another pair. HH, George (MN)

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
I have an amazing pair of Bose inear headphones, only problem... no inline volume control and my silver Umax is LOUD, almost to the point that a solid signal could potentially do some ear damage.

I might just make a run to radio shack and find an ok set of earbuds that have a volume control.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inline volume control is a must using my MXT. After killing off two sets of ear buds I wouldn't attempt using my $99.00 Bose ear buds. Arty

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are all the 1/4 in adapters the same i have seen some of them with 2 lines on the side and some with 1 line on the side of the jack which one do i need for my xlt sprectum.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think it matters. Check the sites and see if there's info on the lines on the adapter
suprdave said:
are all the 1/4 in adapters the same i have seen some of them with 2 lines on the side and some with 1 line on the side of the jack which one do i need for my xlt sprectum.
. When I purchased mine after looking at many, I did not see anything that would have made me ask that question. Let us know if you find anything out? Arty

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
suprdave said:

Two lines indicate Stero, one line indicates Mono. I would think you need the stero adapter, but have nothing to back this up.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2096935_buy-14-inch-audio-adapters.html

maybe this will help??? I hope so.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I looked at my adapter and there are two lines. The one line mono, two line stereo adapter makes sense. Good call mastereagle22. I do not know the technical end of the outputs of metal detector jacks, (stereo, mono). This is another question all together. Arty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread