carring protection

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
I carry "Thunder & Lightning".................and a very sharp diggin' tool! :icon_thumleft:

Seriously, Im a big guy. 6'-1" 235lbs, if I see someone comin my way I face them & look em dead in the eyes as they aproach. If they are checking me out to see if I will be an easy victim, they quickly realize that a robbery attempt would not be the wisest decision. But then again........I live in Idaho. If someone steals your car here they will usually return it in a few days with a full tank of gas. Not a lot of muggings goin on 'round here. 8)

Attachments

• fists.jpg
    fists.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 2,370
OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure sounds like you have a good plan but still have to be carefull just in case that rare
bad situation comes along.
take care and be carefull out there. ron

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several existing posts here on the forum regarding protection and a couple are very recent. Monty

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
monty, thanks much for the info. will check it out.
take care and be safe out there. ron

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
Hey there Maui.

Well if you are that concerned about it, your best protection would be to hunt with a friend. There are several very nice and sociable guys there on Maui that hunt the water. I should know as I hunted several days there this last November with them on Maui and had no problems at all. I also hunted some smaller beaches on my own.

Just remember you reap what you sew, so be respectful to everyone.

On the other hand, I live in Miami and Miami Beach can be pretty rough. Believe me I would not hesitate to bash someone with my Sunspot. Why bruise your knuckles when you are carrying a hunk of stainless on the end of a wooden pole?

HH and Mahalo.

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BareBones, we have lived here over 20 years and we never had any problems.
there are problems here like any where else and we do have our share of some
questionable people.
take care and be safe out there. ron

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm married and faithful

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Ron, are crime statistics available for your area? Usually city-data.com has this info but when I looked at your area no info was given. I live in a relatively low crime suburban community so I never worry even alone after dark but have had some scary situations in "Murderapolis" as some call Minneapolis. HH, George (MN)

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi george, i am not sure where to look for crime figures for maui county. also, maui county includes 2
other islands, molokai and lani but maui has the bulk amount of population of the 3 islands.
when i have to travel to oahu, honolulu i really do not like it. way too much trafic, people, crime and
you name it. oahu is the main island with most of hawaii's population.
take care. ron

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i usually carrie a 40 cal gloc with hollow points but when in parks around kids i have a 48 in lesche gorund shark relic shovel like a shovel and sword all in one

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey olepossum, i have heard good things about the 40 cal. glock and would like to get more of
you feed back on it.
thanks much and be safe out there. ron

The Raven

Greenie
Aug 15, 2010
Liberty ME
maui said:
hey olepossum, i have heard good things about the 40 cal. glock and would like to get more of
you feed back on it.
thanks much and be safe out there. ron

I had one, a glock 22 .40cal 10r....very heavy and bulky. My M92 was easier to carry as it was better balanced. Generally if a person sees a gun, be it a .22 or a .45 they aren't going to mess with you. I carry 9mm Makarov..basically an off market PPK. Small, lightweight, easily concealable if in parks, and elegant looking.

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Raven, thanks for you thoughts and info. right now i am not sure what i will buy.
i will look into afew others also. thanks much.
take care. ron

B

Bev

I'm puny. 5'2" and 100 lbs. No one I know will go with me because "it's boring". I have that Sears Craftsman digging tool and it's a little intimidating. I also carry pepper spray but if I'm distracted and grabbed I'm sure he won't let me call a "time out!" to get it out of pocket. He'd probably snatch it from me anyway and use it on me to help his cause.
I don't think that there are people lurking in the woods waiting for some chick to come wandering through the woods but I think people would consider like a crime of opportunity if they happened upon me.
When checking out supposedly vacant bank-owned properties, we're told to carry a small can of wasp spray since it's pretty acurate and shoots 20 feet rather than waiting for the perp to get into range.
I do have people ask me if my pinpointer is a taser. Sometimes I say that it is, adding that you can't be too careful. It makes them go away alright.
I've also ditched the big earphones I had to some cheapy small ones (not the buds they never stay) but I keep it low so I can still hear things around me somewhat if I don't get zone out.
Hope that helps a little.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Maui Ron,
The "Insurance Policy" I carry with me in the Calif. Mountains is a 454 Casull, bullets from it go through 3/8" steel plate. It is NOT a city park type weapon. Taurus has a revolver called the Judge. It fires 44 Colt Western OR 410 shotgun rounds. It may be a bit bulky however it is more of a general all around use defensive weapon that is, for at home or out somewhere. However for parks I would be more inclined to carry the Wasp spray that shoots 20 feet, I've used one and it works, or else pepper spray as it works as well. With either spray one needs to pay attention to which direction the wind is coming from however the Wasp spray is heavy and tends to buck the wind well. The Wasp spray is about 1/4" in diameter after it comes out of the nozzle and it is kind of amazing to use it. Of course no can of spray goes "BANG" or emits SMOKE & FIRE, all big hits with guys. The 454 really ROCKS!

Good Luck, 63bkpkr

OH, one last thought for semi auto pistols, bird shot rounds can be purchased for many handgun calibers and are effective at close range. They are expensive, you must ask owners of the brand & caliber of the weapon you wish to purchase if the bird shot rounds will feed, eject and cause the next round to load in the chamber but a face full or groin full of bird shot is going to hurt for a long time. Bird shot rounds work in ANY revolver.

B

Bev

I thought when I was showing houses that I should carry a big Maglite which would come in handy for cellars too. My husband asked, "So when he wrestles it away from you and beats YOU with it instead what are you going to do then?" I kinda thought about that and figured something I can use without getting too close might be a better thing for me!
I'm scared of guns. I'd be willing to carry, but hesitant about shooting and possibly killing someone. That moment's hesitation unfortunately could get me killed. Until I'm ready to pull the trigger, I'd better stay clear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread