What's a realistic Hicking Boot/shoe
that will actualy Last ?

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Well Jeff, I think its quite clear that you bought a pair of boots that were meant for the calvary, not a foot soldier! Stop tryin to save money & just buy a pair of water-wings (Red Wings).............Ive had a pair for 5 years now, I weld & grind in em all winter long & they are still a great pair of boots after 5 years! Lifetime warranty too, the seams split & they fix em or replace em free of charge! They are a little pricey but you wont be spending money on boots for quite a few years! :icon_thumleft:

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
i have a pair of La Sportivas and they are great! they are kinda expensive but the will last! Mine are waterproof and all leather. Ive climbed Mt. Sneffles which is a 14,000 ft mountain and Mt. Wrightson which is 9,000 ft. not one problem at all!!!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Red Wings (make sure you get the ones made in USA not China) and Belleville Cold/Wet Gore-Tex (200 grams) Boots (awesome).

I tried Nike All Conditions Gear Hiking Boots and had sole separation at 6000 feet on Mt. Trumbull, AZ. Had to do the hike back down in Teva River Walker Sandals (I don't recommend it). HAHAHA

Best-Mike

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several years ago my feet were killing me from cheep boots all my life. ( Ya all know the brands I mean )
I spent the extra money and bought a pair of Bates metal less boots, for my detector trips in the desert.
Wow what a difference on my feet a good pair of boots made! I now also have the Bates side zip boots that I use for work and for general purpose.
Mrs Extractor questioned my purchases because of the $ cost, but in the long run we have saved a lot of cash by not having to buy cheep er boots every 3 months :coffee2:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too was penny wise and dollar stupid for a long time.

Better to buy quality early on rather than replace every year. Saves a bundle in the long run for me and also supports the makers of quality products. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Did a JB WELD Repair

So far So Good. Even Waterproof
& Good enough for any Black tie event I'd attend :thumbsup:

Picture.jpg

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been there and done that - with Herman's no less. But not for 30 years or so.

Interesting they're still in business seeing that they haven't changed.

When you think about it, your feet carry you reliably and uncomplainingly (!) over a lot of crap every day; so why not give them a set of tools as good as you would your hands to their job?

I've had good luck with Montrails, I do rough terrain a lot, and I used them to crawl up 500 feet of large broken and ice covered talus last winter. They are like having foot machines.

For leather, I get Russell Boots to custom make me pairs, but I find I wear them less and less now. Although I would like a good pair of Smoke Jumpers from West Coast Boot, I probably wouldn't wear them all that much.

The better fabric footwear is actually waterproof now, a huge advantage. They're also lighter.

Check them out.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EE THr said:
Jeff---

It's such a breath of fresh air to see some real class once in awhile!

:laughing7:

I may never have worn a Tie in my Life,
But I Do know I Need Boots for places
filled with "Suits" :wink:

It can get Deep :coffee2:

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey jeff, looks like you a good repair jobe, the way things are now-adays, you might be starting a new fashion.
take care. ron

Carolina Au

Sep 2, 2006
If you use silicon spray treatment on them, do not saturate the material along the soles as it will loosen the glue over time.

I had a pair and they lasted four or five years, but finally the sole came loose. I had this problem also with a different brand that was similarly constructed and priced, (I forgot the name now.) But the instructions with the Herman Survivors did say to avoid excessive treatment of the boot along the sole.

I bought a pair of Danner boots and they have lasted nearly a decade with no signs of problems. But they have minimal leather and none in contact with the sole. These I do not treat except for the leather reinforcement portions where the laces are and I use polish there sparingly.

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
There should be a section on evaluating outdoor wear, like the section on detector comparisons.

There is lots of experience here, and it could save people lots of time and money, not to mention blisters, bruises, snake bites, and so on!

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i also think it would be a good idea to have a section where everybody could show and talk about
clothing, boots, gear and equiptment. it would be great to hear or see what everybody use's and
why. take care. ron

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Jeff,

I agree with AP, it is hard to beat a pair of Red Wings.
I have worn them for over 35 years (not the same pair :)), from Railroading to hunting, fishing, MDing, and I even wore them while taking a cardio stress test at the hospital account they are so comfortable.
Like AP said, they arnt cheap, but they do pay for themselves in the long run.

~ KANSAS ~

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
I Did a JB WELD Repair

So far So Good. Even Waterproof
& Good enough for any Black tie event I'd attend :thumbsup:
Nice repair job Jeff. Looks better than my Shoe Goo & color coordinated duct tape! I'm liken all the colors duct tape comes in now! Now I can Mickey Mouse in designer colors ::) ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions