Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

May 2005
    27 times

Re: Automax Precision v4 Pinpointer is crap...

I use the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight, about $20. Had mine for about 2 years, still working & think maybe still on first battery or 2nd. The only problem is if you must be very quiet, it is audio alert only. HH, George (MN)

us
    Aug 2010
    Oregon
    Garrett Ace 250 - Bounty Hunter 505 - White's Prizm V - Garrett Propointer

Quote Originally Posted by George (MN)
    I use the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight, about $20. Had mine for about 2 years, still working & think maybe still on first battery or 2nd. The only problem is if you must be very quiet, it is audio alert only. HH, George (MN)
    I second the Cen-Tech solution now selling at Harbor Freight for $16.99. Good range, adjustable-sensitivity, auto-off when you release the button, built in light, even a case. Why pay more and get less?

us
    Mar 2007
    Kerrville, TX
    White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
    3 times

I have two pinpointers.... Bullseye I and the Vibraprobe. The Bullseye is giving less and less and less depth with each use. It's about 4 yrs old. The Vibraprobe....I just never get used to it. It kept going off in my bag. So...I have been looking very seriously at the Garrett Pro.
    --Mel

Borninok
    To conquer your flaws, you must first accept them.

us
    May 2010
    South Jersey
    Whites DFX, MXT
    340 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Two reasons it could be doing this, it is either faulty or there's metal in your bag somewhere, possibly a grommet. Once its turned on you have two minutes before it vibrates twice announcing that it is turning itself off, the others have a button or switch that would manually shut
    Quote Originally Posted by borninok
    I have two pinpointers.... Bullseye I and the Vibraprobe. The Bullseye is giving less and less and less depth with each use. It's about 4 yrs old. The Vibraprobe....I just never get used to it. It kept going off in my bag. So...I have been looking very seriously at the Garrett Pro.
    --Mel

Borninok
    them down. If there is metal somewhere in your bag it is doing its job, vibrating. I have not experienced any problems whatsoever with mine. It came with a nice slip in holder that makes it very convenient to use and it stays put. I purchased a padded belt at the local hardware store for it. I left it accidentally behind once and had my backup in the truck, a Bullseye pinpointer, it was a long frustrating day. Arty
    Its a small world until you have to walk somewhere.

us
    Sep 2010
    Carson, California
    Whites IDX Pro w/950 Coil, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter w/Gold Nugget Coil

here is a pic of mine after using i in a bad way a few times!!! Cheap cheap cheap!!!! C@@P Chug and Red

Hey, That's the same way mine looked after tossing it in the rear cargo box on my XR650L and riding 200 miles (180m FWY, 20m Dirt)
    I actually broke all four wires that go to the coil. (very thin and all the same color) I did manage to get it back together but I'm not sure if I got the wires mixed up or if the thing was always as bad as it is now. Would be nice if someone had a pic of the coil that shows which wires go where on the circuit board. The tips of the wires were color coded but where they broke there all the same. I also bought a Bounty Hunter Pinpointer but the performance is about the same. You almost have to touch something to find it. One of my other posts describes other issues I had with it as well. For anyone who has an Auto V4 if you can twist off the tip of the pointer a drop of glue could save you a lot of trouble. HH
    Chris

us
    Sep 2010
    southeast PA
    CTX3030
    61 times

i just recieved one of those V4's from kellyco for ordering a detector and haven't used it yet, it did seem rather bulky and not really built well but will make a great backup pinpointer. i have been using a vibraprobe for a couple years and really like it, no buttons to break, totally waterproof and doesn't make a sound(vibrates only)
    down and dirty

us
    Aug 2010
    Oregon
    Garrett Ace 250 - Bounty Hunter 505 - White's Prizm V - Garrett Propointer

Well since my reply Aug 9th I have upgraded to a Garrett Propointer and I am very pleased with it and my success rate has improved dramatically with fewer lost targets. I have no complaints with the Propointer at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors