Automax Precision v4 Pinpointer is crap...

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Automax Precision v4 Pinpointer

Does anyone else have this pinpointer?

It came with my Minelab... it works fine on airtests but can't pinpoint for crap. Most of the time I have to touch the target before it goes off.

Surely there is a way better one out there.

What's your pinpointer of choice?

I don't mind shelling out 100 + dollars if it's worth it.

Regards,

Gio

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here is a pic of mine afer using i in a bad way a few times!!! Cheap cheap cheap!!!! C@@P

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 1,269
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 1,319
OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hahaa,

That picture made my day. Mine will look like that too if I try and use it again.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Had my Automax in a holster, jumped into truck, sat on it & broke it....Result: one of the happiest days in my MDing life. :hello2: Hated that thing; pinpointed OK but was klutzy to handle and haul around. Mine also came free with first detector bought from Kellyco.

Use a Vibraprobe now and am happy with it :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had one of those, it came with my garrett 2500, it broke off right at the base. Didnt care for it at all. I then had the bullseye II, and had to get 2 or 3 before I got one that worked. And when I did get one that worked didnt have it long and the power button broke. So I junked that and broke down and bought a sunray probe. That was one of the best moves I ever made.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Everyone raves about the Garrett Pro-Pointer for a hand held probe. They retail for ~ $127 but you may be able to do better by making a few phone calls.

Jeff

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right on guys.

Garrett, Sunray... decisions, decisions.

Glad to see I'm not crazy here. The only thing the Automax pinpoints for me is large chunks of iron at a distance. lol

I'll have to do my research and keep my eyes open for a deal.

Thx to one of the forum member who sent me the PM. If I wasn't going on vacation in 4 days I'd be making an offer on that pinpointer. :)

:icon_pirat:

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Garrett Pro Pinpointer is a great stand alone unit. If you don't mind carrying around another piece of equipment, it's the way to go. I have a Sunray X-1 on my Etrac, and it works great as well, but I believe that the Garrett gets a little more depth. I recently had the vibrating function go out on my Garrett and sent it back to them to be replaced at no charge!

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like that customer service side of it, as I can be a klutz with my electronics.

I don't mind carrying it around and paying for it as long as its durable. hehe

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
GioTheGreek said:
I like that customer service side of it, as I can be a klutz with my electronics.

I don't mind carrying it around and paying for it as long as its durable. hehe

Durable yes....I dropped mine on concrete about 4 times......3 of the 4 times it was fine.....the last time....well.....not so fine. I contacted Garrett and stated that the vibrating function stopped working on my Pro Pinpointer, they told me to mail it to them and they would send me a new one. No questions asked. THAT is customer service at it's finest!

cesarnono13

Jun 25, 2010
Azusa, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 250
I had a garrett and pistol probe both at the same time and I honestly had to get rid of the garrett because it made me mad half the time, lol. I now will only carry the pistol probe with me and it has yet to let me down. anywhom, my vote would be for the pistol probe, and as far as durability is concerned Ive dropped mine about 3 times onto concrete because i forgot to strap it in before i took off my utility belt and it still works like a charm. had it about 7 months now and still havent changed the batteries (although i should) and i detect 3-5 days a week.

more than anything, if it is possible for you to go to a prospecting, or metal detecting dealer in person you should go see if they have the items in stock. they should be more than happy to let you fiddle with them for a few minutes and gives you a chance to do an airtest and see what the clerks recommendation is as well. just my two cents.

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
I received 2 Automax V2 Precision pinpointers free with a purchase of 2 metal detectors some 7 years ago. They are both working very well and run a good long time on rechargeable batteries. My only complaint is that they are kinda large and bulky, but I have grown accustomed to that. I could see that they would not be good for prying plugs out of the ground because of the long probe and it would be easy to step on one and break it. I use extra care with them. Maybe the V2 was made better than the V4, who knows. Due to requirements by the State Parks officials in this state, the vibrating function is great to satisfy that ruling during peak Park usage during the year. During peak Park usage, no audible sounds can be emitted from your equipment to annoy others using the Park. Headphones and vibrating equipment must be used. HH

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I do like the Vibration finction, I use that rather than the Squak.

The audible tone can suck the life right out of you. lol

Maybe I just got a dud, I dunno.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Pro-Pointer :thumbsup:

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have four pinpointers, my favorite the Vibra Probe 580 the rest of them crappola. No buttons, switches and waterproof to boot. It comes with a nice holder and is built tuff and pinpoints extremely well. The one thing the automax actually did well on when testing the ones I own was the sensitivity pinpointing the back of a 14k earring. My third year with the 580 and still going strong. Arty

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I use the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight, about $20. Had mine for about 2 years, still working & think maybe still on first battery or 2nd. The only problem is if you must be very quiet, it is audio alert only. HH, George (MN)

RebelRod

Greenie
Aug 17, 2010
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 - Bounty Hunter 505 - White's Prizm V - Garrett Propointer
George (MN) said:
I use the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight, about $20. Had mine for about 2 years, still working & think maybe still on first battery or 2nd. The only problem is if you must be very quiet, it is audio alert only. HH, George (MN)

I second the Cen-Tech solution now selling at Harbor Freight for $16.99. Good range, adjustable-sensitivity, auto-off when you release the button, built in light, even a case. Why pay more and get less?

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
I have two pinpointers.... Bullseye I and the Vibraprobe. The Bullseye is giving less and less and less depth with each use. It's about 4 yrs old. The Vibraprobe....I just never get used to it. It kept going off in my bag. So...I have been looking very seriously at the Garrett Pro.
--Mel

Borninok

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two reasons it could be doing this, it is either faulty or there's metal in your bag somewhere, possibly a grommet. Once its turned on you have two minutes before it vibrates twice announcing that it is turning itself off, the others have a button or switch that would manually shut
borninok said:
I have two pinpointers.... Bullseye I and the Vibraprobe. The Bullseye is giving less and less and less depth with each use. It's about 4 yrs old. The Vibraprobe....I just never get used to it. It kept going off in my bag. So...I have been looking very seriously at the Garrett Pro.
--Mel

Borninok
them down. If there is metal somewhere in your bag it is doing its job, vibrating. I have not experienced any problems whatsoever with mine. It came with a nice slip in holder that makes it very convenient to use and it stays put. I purchased a padded belt at the local hardware store for it. I left it accidentally behind once and had my backup in the truck, a Bullseye pinpointer, it was a long frustrating day. Arty

Sep 9, 2010
Carson, California
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro w/950 Coil, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter w/Gold Nugget Coil
here is a pic of mine after using i in a bad way a few times!!! Cheap cheap cheap!!!! C@@P Chug and Red

Hey, That's the same way mine looked after tossing it in the rear cargo box on my XR650L and riding 200 miles (180m FWY, 20m Dirt)
I actually broke all four wires that go to the coil. (very thin and all the same color) I did manage to get it back together but I'm not sure if I got the wires mixed up or if the thing was always as bad as it is now. Would be nice if someone had a pic of the coil that shows which wires go where on the circuit board. The tips of the wires were color coded but where they broke there all the same. I also bought a Bounty Hunter Pinpointer but the performance is about the same. You almost have to touch something to find it. One of my other posts describes other issues I had with it as well. For anyone who has an Auto V4 if you can twist off the tip of the pointer a drop of glue could save you a lot of trouble. HH
Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread