Need some advice, Used to detect now cant decide on a new detector

The Raven

Greenie
Aug 15, 2010
Liberty ME
Need some advice, Used to detect now can't decide on a new detector

First post here so be kind ;D

I used to detect about 15 years ago in MA, found lots of silver and some gold rings and such in one beach I hunted. Back then I had a Garrett GTA 1000, It was a good detector and served me well. There were a few issues it had but I did what I could. I remember lusting after the Whites Spectrum XLT, but at 15 I could ill afford to buy anything like that (the GTA was a gift).

Now fast forward 15 years, I'm 30 now and can afford to spend 600-1000 on a detector......I'm looking at the Spectrum XLT, The MXT, the DFX and the Minelab Explorer SE and Safari. All ebay ads to save money

How to decide? How much better are the detectors today than back when I was 15...humor me here :laughing9:

Edit: I wanted to add as well, I live in Maine, will be hunting quite a bit of untouched areas with cellar holes that i've found with my dual sport motorcycle. I'll also be hitting fresh water beaches and salt water. Would love to try prospecting a bit as I know of some old gold mines not too far away, but it's not my focus. Granted I will also do the typical stuff as well too.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Need some advice, Used to detect now can't decide on a new detector

The XLT appears to be on the way out at Whites, I just received a new detector catalog and it's no longer listed. You may could call and order one, if that's what you want to do.

I know folks who use the MXT & DXF and they love them. If I was in the market for a new one right now, I'd strongly consider the DXF.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

"The Raven"

Lots of good info on detectors here on Tnet. My word of caution is beware the detectorists with one detector , he will ALWAYS tell you that the one he uses is the BEST! I'm a Tesoro dealer and "4H" here on Tnet is also a Minelab dealer and we would be happy to help you when you are ready. Joe

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All the machines you mentioned are great machines. Id take the Explorer over all of them though. Just my opinion. Also keep your eye on the forum classifieds alot of nice machines posted on there. Best of luck on your search. :thumbsup:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

howdy raven.

can't answer that question for you. no one can, because everybody is different about their likes and dislikes. only you can figure out what is best for you.

my advise is this: go to kellyco or the manufacturer's website and download the manuals for the detectors you're interested in. read 'em thoroughly. if they have a video online, watch it. go to YouTube and type in the machine name and see what comes up. look at the ground mineralization you're facing in Maine and factor that in. Some machines that do great in low mineralized soil can't tolerate highly mineralized soil. What do you have?

try typing in the name of the detector in the search box on TNet and read the posts. You'll find a lot of good information about the strengths and weaknesses of each machine. if there's a consistent problem, believe me, it'll get talked about plenty.

just remember that every experienced detectorist has their own likes and dislikes, and that's why we argue back and forth so much. i could tell you my opinion of the best machine out there, but it might not be the best for you. see what i mean?

besides, researching is half the fun. you ought to see the notebook i've got going right now to pick out my next beach machine.

good luck to ya!

OP
OP
The Raven

The Raven

Greenie
Aug 15, 2010
Liberty ME

Good stuff so far, my last detector was bought on impulse and it served me well. Then again 15 years ago we had 33.5kbs dialup if that and Treasurenet was in it's infancy ;D I doubt I could have dont much research back then if I had wanted to. I'm sure whichever machine I go with there will be things I dislike and things I like

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome back to the hobby!!!! Well you have got a couple of things going for you and they are,
1. Money to spend on a nice new unit
2. Places to hunt.

I have experience with the XLT and MXT but not the minelabs you mentioned or the DFX. Since your looking to do some water hunting and land hunting then maybe you should think about the Minelab excaliber. It is water proof and you can use it on land for relic hunting also. It is just an idea. Also since you have up to 1000.00 to spend on one then maybe you could get 2 mid priced machines. The MXT is an awesome machine and I loved it but I do not believe it is at home on the beach, plus if you want to wade out into the water there is always a chance of dropping it and I know that would not go over too good but, it will probably be a better performer out prospecting for gold. A multi frequency machine does better on the beach because it runs more stable in the wet salt sand. The DFX runs on 2 frequencys and the minelabs you have mentioned run on multiple frequencies. This is just going to be something that you are really going to have to take a little time to work out on your part. Inotherwords, which of the type of detecting will you be doing the most of? Beachcombing, coin and relic hunting, or prospecting? If I was going to be on the beach more than around old cellar holes then I would go for a good machine cut out for that type of hunting. If I was going to relic hunt and coinshoot I would go for a machine for that.
Some detectors have come a long way in 15 years but remember it is only the bells and whistles that have advanced. You can still get good performance out of a used unit that was 1200.00 4 years ago new and pay only a fraction of that now used. It is up to you. To me keeping it as simple as possible without having to go into alot of programs is better. I do not like having to program a setting while out in the field and the XLT and DFX are that way. The MXT is not you just flip a switch or turn a knob. Some of the minelabs you mentioned you have settings and programs but the Sovereign and Excaliber(the same thing as the sovereign, only it is water proof) are not programmable but have knobs and switches. Just my 2 cents worth, Tim

OP
OP
The Raven

The Raven

Greenie
Aug 15, 2010
Liberty ME

I've been looking at a few of the detectors recommended. I've also been reading the ample reviews online on each.

This is what I've found
DFX-Great machine though VERY complicated for some, I'm 30 and grew up in the computer generation not sure if it is too complicated. Not very good on wet salt sand or salt water.

Minelab Explorer both SE and II- Basically the same machine? Really good performer while it works, but does degrade in time, not sure how it'll work when I'm out in 40 degree drizzly days in the fall. My Garrett started having fits after operating in harsh conditions for 2 years. I also read minelab customer service was bad....anybody refute this? I rarely use CS but if I pay good money I would probably give a call if a repair was needed. Also fairly heavy, the sites I know are a 1/2-1mile in the woods and the machine will be carried in along with my gear etc etc

XLT- Not going to happen as it's on the way out and for a little bit more money I can get a newer detector, not good for salt sand etc etc

MXT-Still not ruled out

Tersoro Cortez- This Machine intrigues me. What I do not believe I mentioned before was I also had a Tesoro Golden Sabre that I didn't use much due to second guessing myself and getting frustrated by digging 10 minutes through rocky maine soil only to find a hot rock. It did however provide me my first/oldest and coolest find yet...an early 1800s half cent in Montville. The Cortez looks interesting as it has the VID, is very light and comes with a lifetime warranty. I liked the build quality of the old Sabre and wonder if the Cortez would work....

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Raven said:
I've been looking at a few of the detectors recommended. I've also been reading the ample reviews online on each.

This is what I've found
DFX-Great machine though VERY complicated for some, I'm 30 and grew up in the computer generation not sure if it is too complicated. Not very good on wet salt sand or salt water.

Minelab Explorer both SE and II- Basically the same machine? Really good performer while it works, but does degrade in time, not sure how it'll work when I'm out in 40 degree drizzly days in the fall. My Garrett started having fits after operating in harsh conditions for 2 years. I also read minelab customer service was bad....anybody refute this? I rarely use CS but if I pay good money I would probably give a call if a repair was needed. Also fairly heavy, the sites I know are a 1/2-1mile in the woods and the machine will be carried in along with my gear etc etc

XLT- Not going to happen as it's on the way out and for a little bit more money I can get a newer detector, not good for salt sand etc etc

MXT-Still not ruled out

Tersoro Cortez- This Machine intrigues me. What I do not believe I mentioned before was I also had a Tesoro Golden Sabre that I didn't use much due to second guessing myself and getting frustrated by digging 10 minutes through rocky maine soil only to find a hot rock. It did however provide me my first/oldest and coolest find yet...an early 1800s half cent in Montville. The Cortez looks interesting as it has the VID, is very light and comes with a lifetime warranty. I liked the build quality of the old Sabre and wonder if the Cortez would work....

You need to spend some time in some of the other threads and take a look around. There is a thread called head to head comparisons and also there is a thread for each manufactorer. I would start there and just read what others have experienced, Tim

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Raven might want to check out the Minelab Sovereign too. They have a cult following it seems. Might not be for you, but could be worth a look.

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have used a XLT, DFX and currently own a Minelab Se Pro. The Minelab is by far the best metal detector I have ever owned.

Don

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

check out the new mxt pro, still made and serviced in the U.S.A. reading a lot of neg. things about minelab customer service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread