Whats the best way to find large buried ceramic jars & pots? GPR? Pictures!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
What's the best way to find large buried ceramic jars & pots? GPR? Pictures!

Hi there,

A couple of times a year I get to go play archaeologist in a warm/sunny country, and on my next trip we are going do a salvage archaeology project in an area where there are a lot of buried urns (jars, pots, etc.) I find urns all the time using a bottle probe in sandy soil, but this site has really hard, rocky soil and the probe method won't work. The portion of the site that is going to be disturbed is about 4 acres, so too much for my small crew to dig by hand without pinpointing our efforts.

I've seen GPR used at projects in the US, but usually my fellow treasure hunters know more about what's portable and what actually works. Any advice, recomendations, alternatives to GPR, etc.

The pots are usually about an inch or so thick, and the dirt on the inside is softer than the dirt on the outside. They are also usually found in groups of 3 or v shape clusters of 7.

Here are a couple of pictures of different urns, these are usually a couple of feet in diameter but the big ones go up to five feet or so.

IMG_4454Medium.jpg

IMG_4453Medium.jpg

IMG_2649Small.jpg

IMG_2619Small.jpg

DSC00269Small.jpg

DSC00282Small.jpg

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: What's the best way to find large buried ceramic jars & pots? GPR? Pictures!

Get a mud detector from the folks at www.Wishfullthinking.com. They have all the equipment that you would need to find treasure made from mud.

I once knew a guy that collected mud bedside urinals.

Good luck with your pesearch.

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Re: What's the best way to find large buried ceramic jars & pots? GPR? Pictures!

I was asking about ground penetrating radar systems, not about your friends that hang out in public bathrooms.

Montauk3 said:
Get a mud detector from the folks at www.Wishfullthinking.com. They have all the equipment that you would need to find treasure made from mud.

I once knew a guy that collected mud bedside urinals.

Good luck with your pesearch.

Attachments

• ground-penetrating-radar.jpg
    ground-penetrating-radar.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 4,606

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions