SunRay Stick

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Here is something I put together so I wouldnt have to bend over or work an area on my knees (getting old is #ell).
I wanted to post it for a little feed back to see if anyone had a idea for a improvement on it other than making it pretty.

There are many times I wish I had a smaller coil with me to detect close to sidewalks, metal posts in tot lots, Baseball backstops, and other small areas where you can't get your regular coil into.
It isn't real pretty, and probably not something everyone would use.

What it is, is a way to use your Sun Ray probe as a small coil. Taking only a second to attach the probe to it, it saves a lot of time of changing coils back and forth on your detector. I realize it wouldn't go as deep as a small coil, but the area I intend to use it in, the items are not that deep. It's weight is only 9 oz. I intend to put some type of strap on it so I can put it over my shoulder when not in use while I hunt tot lots or baseball complexes.

The materials I used was plastic electrical conduit for the stick. I made the clips from 1 inch I.D. plastic pipe. The stop plate to prevent the probe from sliding up was made from the connector end of the conduit and the piece of plastic I cut making the clips for the probe.
I used quick set epoxy to attach the parts, and then used "JB Weld" around the parts to make it stronger, but that may have been overkill.
It is not real pretty, but it gets the job done.
~ KANSAS ~
( I posted this in the Metal Detecting section, but thought this was a better place to get feedback )

Attachments

• SunRayStick 1.jpg
    SunRayStick 1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 293
  • SunRayStick 2.jpg
    SunRayStick 2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 286
  • SunRayStick 3.jpg
    SunRayStick 3.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 287
  • SunRayStick 1.jpg
    SunRayStick 1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 290
  • SunRayStick 2.jpg
    SunRayStick 2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 292
  • SunRayStick 3.jpg
    SunRayStick 3.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 289

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Now that's pretty clever. Like you say, those SunRays are just miniature coils. Never hurts to add a specialty coil to your arsenal.

Good luck !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread