Garrett Pro-Pinpointer - Worth It or Better Product Out There?

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know the difference of Pro pointer and the CSI Pro Pointer? they cost the same but not sure of the difference. bought the Pro Pointer and LOVE IT!

There is no difference.

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to youtube, PinPointer shoot out, they test a few different makes. Then you can decide which one bests suites your needs.

Jim

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMO the Garrett pro pointer is the best and most effective one out there and the best way to go. Good luck.

diggin-a-hole

Aug 13, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber -
Garrett Ace 350 -
MP3 Pro ( don't buy one ; mine was free) -
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to you tube and look at the mods. done to improve on the depth it will detect to. I did the mod. with an old antenna and it about doubles the depth it will shoot to. Makes a huge difference and a great tool even better. Good luck and have fun.

FmrMarine

Aug 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased a pro pointer and lesche tool! After all the research ive done i know i made a good purchase:) Now its time to get serious

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys got my head spinning.I now have some extra money.And i know its been asked before just like this thread.who makes the best.I want to buy a garrett or vibra-tector 580.But i ran into an old guy i know and trust his word he says get the vibra-tector he uses the 730 and swears by it.I just don't want to get something i will regret buying.So unless anybody can convince me other wise i will get the garrett.Anybody disagree with my choice and if so why? And by the way right now iam using a cen-tech and we all know the button breaks and the heat here in florida makes the beep continuos when i press the button.Iam ready to upgrade.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my Garrett!!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
Watch out for Chinese knock-offs on eBay!Buy from a Garrett retailer if possible.If mine dies tomorrow(4years old)I will buy another!Yep,they're that good.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW over 50 responses already,
is there anything that hasn't already been Said ? :tongue3:

in my opinion the Sunray probe is much, Much better then the Garrett,
however the Price (even used) leaves allot to be desired.
there just isn't enough there to rationalize the price imo

till it is hooked to the detector, it's just a dead probe (1" coil) & a relay switch.

Last edited:

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do not know how I hunted without it for past 15 years , my dad also bought one as well for his detector

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

E = Mc2

Greenie
Jun 17, 2013
Vine Grove, KY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another bump to this ancient thread: I love the Garrett ProPointer. My wife does, too. So much, in fact, that she took mine and I had to buy another. They are definitely worth the purchase price just in the time saved when retrieving your finds. If you don't want to spend hours on your knees while you sift dirt for pennies, get one.

Regarding the Cen-Tech pointer: The biggest problem I had with the Cen-Tech is it stops responding to sensitivity inputs when it gets warm out. A simple thermistor soldered to the circuit board (and adjusting the sensitivity potentiometer inside the unit) solves that. I have two that we keep for backups just in case our Garretts zonk out and we are out of money to buy another. There is, BTW, a separate thread for Cen-Tech pointers. ;)

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Works a lot better than my Whites bullseye pointer. I love the Garrett pro pointer.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Works a lot better than my Whites bullseye pointer. I love the Garrett pro pointer.
Yes and No. IMO
Yes... for most general use the Garrett Pro Pointer will give better control when finding the targets.
But ... the Whites Bulls Eye can find smaller targets that the Pro Pointer will miss.
I have 2 Garrett Pro pointers. they work great.
Hopefully the new Whites Pin pointer will be out soon.
It looks to be a good design combination of what the others Brands are lacking.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have replied to this thread already but have purchased the Garett since. I will drive back 20 miles to get my pointer if I left it. Some of the best money I ever spent on a product!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett has a new waterproof model (Pro-Pointer AT) of the popular probe. I haven't used it, and can't say they improved the button/switch any, but they have included several good and needed features/tricks what it can do - besides, I'm still using my old Garrett with a plastic/rubber (Papa Doody) cover - so, when this (my second) Garrett probe croaks, I might get the Pro-Pointer AT, or a Nokta or Makro pointer...all three about the same cost, but waterproof!

update!:
I got the Nokta pointer yesterday, and successfully recovered two coins (out of three targets), in short order!
It was snowing wet flakes, but finding good stuff, in a fast efficient manner, was a real treat!
I love the pointer!! :thumbsup:

My 2nd Garrett probe, the vibrator stopped working recently, so I sent it in for warranty work - it was good until April '16.
After being fixed, I'm giving it to a newbie, to whom I'm mentoring.
Pinpointers are essential detecting gear!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread