Garrett Pro-Pinpointer - Worth It or Better Product Out There?

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say that Garrett did their homework on this one. I already have a Vibra Probe 580. It works and works well. But since I usually carry tools like that in my pocket on the right leg of my utility jeans, the Vibra Probe was a little too long for my liking. This past Saturday I was at the detector store in North Kansas City and dropped the money for the Garrett Pro-pointer. I have only used it about 6 hours. But I can tell you that the Vibra Probe is up for sale. The Pro Pointer fits my hand better, is easy to turn on/off. The battery setup is simple, no wires or clips, fits my pocket like I had hoped it would and works just great. You can use it to nose around in the dirt and find that target. It feels like it is built very sturdy and has a 24 month guarantee. But knowing Garret, they would probably repair/replace it even after that.

My 2 cents.

Bob

OP
OP
D

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
RJGMC said:
I would have to say that Garrett did their homework on this one. I already have a Vibra Probe 580. It works and works well. But since I usually carry tools like that in my pocket on the right leg of my utility jeans, the Vibra Probe was a little too long for my liking. This past Saturday I was at the detector store in North Kansas City and dropped the money for the Garrett Pro-pointer. I have only used it about 6 hours. But I can tell you that the Vibra Probe is up for sale. The Pro Pointer fits my hand better, is easy to turn on/off. The battery setup is simple, no wires or clips, fits my pocket like I had hoped it would and works just great. You can use it to nose around in the dirt and find that target. It feels like it is built very sturdy and has a 24 month guarantee. But knowing Garret, they would probably repair/replace it even after that.

My 2 cents.

Bob

I was at a shop here in MA and they had the Garrett out on the table and it definitely fit well in the hand. I have NO detecting friends so I haven't the slightest clue how all this stuff works and what you need. I've always wanted a detector I and finally pulled the trigger this past weekend. Silver Umax, just teaching myself what is a real signal and what is not.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have a Bullseye 4 Bullseye IIs, a Virbaprobe, two off-brand named ones, one made out of a nail finder, the on-board Sunray and the Garrett Propointer. The ONLY one I use is the ProPointer. It is that good.

I cannot say enough about how great a device this thing is!!!!

I am not employed by, nor do I have any financial interest in Garrett, which is a shame, because this thing is FANTASTIC!!!!

Get one yesterday.

Dr.Jones

Aug 19, 2005
Kennett square , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I bought the Garrett Pro Pointer this past Friday and used it at the beach on saturday, and a park on sunday. Its the best I have ever used. Its sturdy too. You can get it dirty and it will not malfunction. I like the scrape bar on the probe and the fact you can use it to locate the item by scraping the dirt away, and pinpoint by using the tip. It emits beeps, solid tone and the tip of the machine is over the target. itermittent and your close. great product.

OP
OP
D

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
Dr.Jones said:
I bought the Garrett Pro Pointer this past Friday and used it at the beach on saturday, and a park on sunday. Its the best I have ever used. Its sturdy too. You can get it dirty and it will not malfunction. I like the scrape bar on the probe and the fact you can use it to locate the item by scraping the dirt away, and pinpoint by using the tip. It emits beeps, solid tone and the tip of the machine is over the target. itermittent and your close. great product.

I have to pull the trigger and get one. One of the challenges I have is with my detector cable, for some reason I just can't get the right wrap so that I end up with just enough slack at the top to connect to the box. Then what happens is the wire gets lose and the coil doesnt stay firm at the angle I like... this throws off my painpointing ability because it leads me to believe that the signal comes straight from the coil center... so if the coil is loose then the target would actually be closer to your feet following the coil centers angle.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very simply - worth it!

DirtfisherGabe

Nov 28, 2008
Knoxville , TN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Spectrum XLT
This is definatly a great addition to anybody's detecting setup/gear. Very, very durable. Certainly worth the investment.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought the pro pointer after looking at other brands and being a bit (or a lot) disappointed in what I found.

I took it out this past weekend to use with my new Compadre, which I'm going to make a more detailed post about under the "Tesoro" section later tonight.

All I can say is that the pro pointer is an amazing device that is solidly built and makes my life as detectorist infinitely easier. I strongly recommend getting one of you can.

It is the ultimate pinpointer and if you get no signal, you know you have a deep target. I had to start a few holes before the pro pointer could pick up a signal, but the limited range is completely expected. If I got signal on the surface, I knew I had a shallow target.

It cuts down your retrieval time dramatically and is spot on accurate.

Did I mention you should get one? :D

B

Bev

I have a question about the pinpoint by Garrett.
Is the volume adjustable? I really like my Harbor Freight pinpointer for $15.00 but it's a little loud and people gawk at me. Is that the one that can have sound or be put on vibrate only?
The switch let go on my Harbor Freight one but that thread on how to fix it worked like a charm but I'd like to upgrade and the volume thing, durability and accuracy would be the things I'd focus on next time around.
Thank you for your help

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my pro pointer and look forward to using it today. I used to use a whites bullseye II and it was an ok pinpointer but I lost it. A detecting buddy has the pro-pointer and I have used it a few times and It worked great.

Bev, the pro-pointer does not have an adjustable volume or a vibrate mode, which is the only downfall I can see with this tool.

B

Bev

Huh. Ok Rookie2, It seems like the best value out there so it's probably #1 on my list for Santa even without the volume adjustment.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No volume control but the speaker output is right where my thumb always goes. I tend to cover it up accidentally which greatly reduces the volume. So you can use your thumb or put a piece of tape over it if you find it to be too loud.

B

Bev

I feel dumb, I used to tape over the speaker of the obnoxiously loud toys that people gave my kids when they were young! I can do this since on my Harbor one since it's time (again) to do the switch cleaning with alcohol.

Thanks for the tip- You nailed it!

jgo

Greenie
Aug 29, 2010
For what its worth...

I bought the garrett pro-pointer for my wife. I have the sunray x-1 on an e-trac. After using both for several weeks I actually prefer the garrett!
It has slightly more depth and the extra inch or so really makes a difference when pinpointing.

The x-1's ability to discriminate isn't really useful in pinpointing, and I find that using the x-1 in pinpoint mode often gives a false signal. Maybe I am doing something wrong with the x-1, but I just spent three hours today ignoring the x-1 and using the garrett.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Bev said:
I feel dumb, I used to tape over the speaker of the obnoxiously loud toys that people gave my kids when they were young! I can do this since on my Harbor one since it's time (again) to do the switch cleaning with alcohol.

Thanks for the tip- You nailed it!

After my 2nd CenTech pinpointer switch gave me trouble, I went to Radio Shack and got their smallest buzzer button. I clipped off the old button, stripped off the wires with my fingernails and twisted them on the new button. I superglued it into the hole the old button occupied. $5 and 10 minutes, works like new. I'm just waiting for it to die so I can get a Propointer.

B

Bev

That's a thought. I'm finding that if I put the Cen-Tech on the ground, even the smallest amount of debris will aggravate it. My mind is made up about the Garrett. It's looking more and more like the way to go. I'll keep my Cen-Tech in shape though just in case I ever find someone who wants to go with me. So far I have no one to play with.

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
Portland, Oregon/ I travel
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The centech switches are notoriously bad.....usually have to replace the switch with something else, which there are a number of options available.

I would play with you! :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DetectorPro Uniprobe blows them all away........ I get 6 inches depth on mine and the depth is adjustible, comes with fantastic headphones and you run your detector tones through the headphones, there is switch on the headphones, one side is detector tones, other side is probe........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread