New dirt pirate with a couple questions, especially for the old-timers!

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
After years of wanting to try this hobby, I picked up my first metal detector a few weeks ago. Its an early '80s Garrett Master Hunter 7 ADS II. Don't laugh- its brand new in the box and the price was right (free!) Came with the headphones, book, everything. I am a garbage collector and its amazing what people throw out (the original American Pickers). I read the book and have swung my Garrett around in my backyard but am having a time of it trying to determine the deep signals. The deepest I have dug in dry soil (mostly clay) is 4" and all I have found is clad. Not bad, good start. But I am wondering if the really light signals that I briefly get and sometimes disappear on a second swing are just ghost clad or if they denote a deeper item. Without digging my backyard until it looks like Verdun after WWI, any suggestions? I have read that some people still swear by their old Master Hunters and that they can read 8" or more. Second, I am wondering if I can upgrade to another coil down the road or am I stuck with the one on it? I know the new ones are interchangeable but not sure about a classic... Last, how important is it to keep the coil close to, and even with, the ground. I notice that I still get a blip when there is a slight depression in the sod and if I keep the coil lets say 4" above the sod does that then reduce the depth the coil can read under the soil?
Thanks for all your help in advance! I have trouble getting out with any local clubs right now because my fiance' works night shift at the hospital and sleeps during the day so I have to watch our toddler.
-Eric

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
fibberjibber---

Coins, jewelry, and other small stuff, sink deeper into the soil according to the time since they were dropped there, and the hardness of the soil they would penetrate. So, it may be, if you have fairly hard soil, and the property wasn't inhabited in historic periods, there just isn't much below 4" there. Also if it was covered with topsoil at some point, earlier stuff may be too deep to detect.

Most detector manuals say to keep the coil about 1" above the ground. Some people let it ride on the tops of the grass blades, but hitting grass or bumps may cause false signals with some coils.

Since this section of the forum (tools) usually deals with everything else but detectors, more people who are familiar with your model might see your question if you asked it in the "Brands" section, under "Garrett."

I've never used a Garret, so I can only offer suggestions which are common to all detectors.
Yes, swinging it even with the ground is best. Also, raising it up with each swing over the same target will give you an idea of the depth, as it will fade out as you go up higher. If it fades out quickly, then the target is at the depth limit of the detector.

There is a lot of good information and tips on this site, just scan around the detectors sections here. It's amazing.

Good hunting.

:coffee2:

a56digger

Greenie
Mar 11, 2007
With 22 years of hunting behind me. I have to agree with EE THr 100%. To get know your detector take it to a park with sand or back around the play ground equipment ( Tot-lot). Here you can learn your detector and work out your recovery. Learn to probe the target in sand or to dig the smallest hole you can. Please cover the holes. If you have Harbor Freight and pick a Centech pocket probe ($16.00 or so). It will help you keep a smaller hole and find a target after it is out of the hole.

With Time the detector you have now will buy it replacement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread