Need some advice on spending some money

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
I've been using a Whites Eagle Spectrum for the last three or four years (bought it second hand, so warranty isn't an option). Lately though, it's been giving me some problems. It still works okay, but the LCD occasionally scrambles, and the backlight hasn't worked in quite some time. Now, the backlight issue I can deal with. But the scrambling is making me wonder if good targets aren't getting missed because there's something more than just how the display acts up. So, I'm saving up for a newer detector (most of the cash will probably come out of my tax refund). Advice I'm looking for is, if I want to "upgrade" from the Spectrum, what would be a good choice?

I see a lot of stuff on the DFX, and and Prizm models, but unsure if I'll have the cash for those unless I go secondhand again (fixing the rear suspension for a 15 year old SUV ain't cheap). And while I like the White's product line, and am more familiar with it, I had occasion to use a Garrett (I think it was the GTI 2500) for a bit one time, and really liked how they did their readout system. Plus I thought the weight was less which most people can appreciate. So, what advice on spending my money can you folks give me?

Also, I'm thinking about getting a pinpointer. Yes, I know, if you know how to handle your machine real well, you don't need one. But, if I'm working with a new machine, it might not be a bad thing to have that little crutch. Is there a particular brand that would be recommended, or could I just as easily get away with a little pocket transistor taped to a credit sized calculator (see the link below if your curious, and no it's not mine lol)?

http://www.videosurf.com/video/how-to-make-a-metal-detector-92821694

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pinpointer =Garrett pro pointer= :occasion14:
The DFX is a Fantastic MD But it takes some users time to scroll through the programs to adjust the settings. I have the MXT , the knobs make it quick to adjust settings.
There are a lot of good choices out there . What type of hunts do you plan on using it for ?? Coin , Jewelery, relics , prospecting , Beach ?

OP
OP
C

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Most of what I do is coin shooting, although there are a few spots I want to get out to after the winter season for some relic hunting. And, if I can afford it, maybe even head south this winter to do some hunting somewhere for civil war relics.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A pin pointer is almost a must have. It will really cut your recovery time down. Like others have said before, the Garrett Pro Pointer is the cats meow.
-Swartzie

padlock

Mar 28, 2010
Ann Arbor MI
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
as far as a pin pointer Garrett Pro Pointer that is the only one you will need

for the DFX I have the DFX 300. This was my VERY first MD I too got that used and I love it. When I first got it I turned it on and went didn't a just any setting. after a few weeks I started doing more research about the DFX and now I a just the setting as needed! I have programs saved on it for certain spots I go to and it works really well. it's also a deep MD I have pulled coins at 12inches. also a must have for the DFX is the smaller coil I have the 12 inch that is collecting dust as we speak and the 6x10 DD coil that never leaves the MD. if you end up getting a DFX and have questions feel me to either post it or shoot me a PM will be glad to help any way I can

Chris in MI

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in my opinion, smaller coil for better target seperation, if under a larger coil there are 3 targets, under a smaller coil there may only 1 or 2. but you do loose a little depth with smaller coils. trashy areas-where a lot of stuff winds up on the ground, better go with a smaller coil. farmfields where 100 years ago there was a schoolhouse go with a larger coil, less trashy.

xasp61

Apr 27, 2010
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
V3, XLT, F75, MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you liked the Eagle Spectrum, i would look for a used, in good condition XLT spectrum or a XLT e series, same machine, the e series is a newer model. Best pinpointer ??? Garrett ProPointer !!! cost around 125. once you use one, you will never want anything else.

GoodLuck :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread