Stove top electrolisis for silver cleaning

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I found 3 silver rings on the salt beach yesterday. They had been there for a while and were quite tarnished. I had previously seen a post about stove-top silver cleaning, but could not find it on this site through the search function, or in the tool box, so I went looking elsewhere on the web. I found what looked like I remembered so I gave it a try with great results. Figured I would post it here.... Before and after photos. + PROCESS: I used a stainless steel pot lined with aluminum foil. Filled with tap water to just above the silver objects in the water. I added 1 teaspoon of baking soda and about 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. Heat the water HOT but not boiling. Place the silver rings in the water on the foil. Bubbles will form around the rings as the tarnish is removed from the rings and deposited onto the foil. The process took about 30 minutes. The smallest of the rings came out of the water almost tarnish free. The other two rings still had a dull gray haze on them when they came out. However, a few moments rubbing them with a dry paper towel and the haze was gone and the silver shine was there. Definitely worth doing to restore tarnished silver jewelry.

Attachments

• Beach Treasures 005.JPG
    Beach Treasures 005.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 789
  • Stovetop Electrolisis 007.JPG
    Stovetop Electrolisis 007.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 778
  • Stovetop Electrolisis 005.JPG
    Stovetop Electrolisis 005.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 812
  • Stovetop Electrolisis 003.JPG
    Stovetop Electrolisis 003.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 774
  • Stovetop Electrolisis 004.JPG
    Stovetop Electrolisis 004.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 777
  • Stovetop Electrolisis 006.JPG
    Stovetop Electrolisis 006.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 764

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
They came ot nice! I will have to try that out soon, probably have about a dozen silver rings that are really bad, and a few islver chains. I will try it out in a few days and let you know the results!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey another good use for tin foil is cleaning chrome on your car or motorcyle,bunch some up about as big as your fist and dunk it in a bowl of Coca-Cola and wipe on the chrome,it cleans it really well. :icon_sunny:

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and illustrations. . .thanks for sharing, good info.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the good idea for cleaning silver, but I also liked the idea of using coral to display the rings! Best idea yet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions