Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
I too use the Harbor Freight M-500 .

Works for me and I paid $10.00 each at the flea market for two of them.

A pre 1982 penny should come in at 3.11 grams. Yep, Sure Does!

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I wanted some gold and silver testing acids to check some finds. The first kit I got had poor quality acid but a nice little scale came with it. The brand is American Weigh Scale (get it?). Of course it's made in China. But it's been good to me.

I still needed good testing acids, so I tried again. This time I got good acids, but the scale was physically very small -- even too small. To top it off there's no brand name, and although it remains reasonably accurate one lcd digit is fading.

To summarize: At eBay, try to find an AWS scale with testing acids that have WHITE caps. You can get both for about $30.

SirAlbertEinstein

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2011
I like American Weigh. You can get a small 100gX0.01g for around 25 through their website and 10-15 through ebay. I recently bought American Weigh SC-501 500x0.01g For my purposes it has plenty high of a capacity (I rarely need to weigh anything over 300g) and it has a bigger scale area 4"X4" opposed to the maybe 2"x2.5" of the smaller one. Its a bit more expensive around 90 through their website, about half that on ebay. Well worth the extra money IMO.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
i've bought a lot of small scales and they all were very good and accurate enough for my needs. I use them to gauge the approx. weight in grams of my gold and silver items i find. I mean they're so inexpensive you really can't go too wrong just stay away from anything with a lot of bad ratings and you'll be fine. If your finding something bigger than 100 grams at once then your gonna be able to afford a bigger scale. ;D
not likely you'll find a three ounce gold ring but man i'm really gonna say a prayer for you to prove me wrong. :icon_thumright:

ottor

Mar 1, 2012
So. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a scale you can have.... along with a bunch of baggies .... I won't need them for the next 5-15 years... :sad11:

Just kidding ....

r

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a scale you can have.... along with a bunch of baggies .... I won't need them for the next 5-15 years... :sad11:

Just kidding ....

r
Heh Heh Heh.

Grab up the Harbor Freight scale (fold up)"centec #93543" I've been dragging mine around for two years now. Usually carry it in my back pocket at swap meets & yard sales. Can't count how many times I've forgotten & sat on it with no ill effect yet. As far as a test kit goes, best advice make up your own you'll save a lot. Order your acids from Lonnies in Phoenix Arizona. Silver, 14, 18k, 22k, & The small stone is all you really need. Don't order the kits or the box. Go to Wally World & get the small plastic box for fishing goodies (on sale $1) Your acids, stone & another bottle for distilled water to rinse with fits inside nicely, and fits in your other back pocket, and if you inadvertantly forget to cap a bottle tightly the box keeps the acids secure. If you want to go whole hog pickup a RS Mizar Diamond Detective diamond tester, and a magnet from an old hard drive. For about $140 total you can answer ALL your questions when buying. The acids should last you a long time.

1. Hold item up to magnet If it attracts, it's plate or counterfeit silver coins.
2. Test for karat
3. Check your stones if any.
4. Weigh, calculate & make your offer.

Hope this helps you along & saves you some money & effort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread