PVC pipe locator

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro
Has anyone had any success locating pvc pipe? I have come across only two tools that seem to offer possibilities. The first is a ground probe rod, which only helps if you already know the general area to probe. And the other is a sort of dowsing mechanism which I have seen for sale at numerous web sites, including those selling utility locating equipment.

I would like to hear from anyone that has had any success in this area as I have not.

This is not meant to include any long range locating equipment.

Thanks for reading.

Bob

OP
OP
BobInFla

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro
Just in case you are wondering why I have asked about this, I am aware of several documented cases of bundles of cash being buried in sections of PVC pipe. I have a number of friends in law enforcement and they tell me that a number of drug dealers are doing that now. They also tell me that their tools are limited to ground probes or ground penetrating radar if they suspect very large amounts of cash.

Just do a Google search on "Cash buried in pvc" and you will find numerous stories.

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
I have found pvc pipe with water in it dowsing with bent coat hangers, we use to find elec wires, gas pipes and such on jobs.
For pvc with cash or drugs in it, I doubt it would work

get a piece put some cash in it and try :thumbsup:

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Ages ago I tried dowsing with a couple of bent welding rods, and once with hangers. I didn't get anywhere. I don't mean to dissuade you from trying, but don't waste one dollar buying dowsing rods. Most of the old stories about dowsing either involved using something home-made or found on site (the forked stick).

In China, the original I Ching oracle used twigs because they weren't even worth the 3 cents used today. You pick the coins from spare change, use them, and then spend them. I think that's probably a good way do look at dowsing rods. Any "specialness" in the rods gets between you and your target. Also that way you're not getting scammed into buying extra fancy bent wire with no resale value.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probes or GPR.

That's it.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dousing works..I personally can't do it but my father could and i knew a well driller who could give a fairly accurate estimate of the depth of an underground stream. I've seen my dad use bent coat hangers to locate the older cast iron sewer lines when a water dept. crew had no luck finding it with thier equipment.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had good success locating any type of underground pipe, clay, pvc, iron,steel, copper, etc., using the bent coat hanger or bent copper wire. You just form two equal lengths of wire into an "L" shape. I make mine about 5" x 14", placing the 5" sections one in each hand with thumbs up. Hold the wire loosely so it can rotate freely. You can take a Bic pen body for each hand and place the wire inside them so they rotate smoother. Point both wires straight ahead and begin walking slowly. As you pass over buried pipe or drainage tile the wires will begin to rotate towards each other and they will join as you cross the center line of the buried pipe. Say you are walking east to west, the detected pipe will lie North-South.

With a little practice you can walk alot faster and cover alot of ground.

I cannot explain how this works, it just does for some people and for others it will not. I didn't believe it till I tried it. Myself and some co-workers experimented with it and out of 20 people about 70 percent could do it, the rest could not. It is worth a try, and I hope it works for you.

http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/farm-upkeep/article/307-dowsing-for-water-pipes.html

moondog2000

Mar 19, 2010
Beaumont California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT,MXT,GOLD MONSTER 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dousing works for me. I have worked in a hosp 40yrs as a steam engineer in the engineering dept and we douse to find water lines , fire loops and what not in the ground. I was taught by an old plumber that worked for JPL and he told me to use brass rod or silver rod the purer the better. when I am over the line the rods swing out. One difference between me and people that have no luck dousing is if I take a analog volt meter and press my thumbs on the probes the needle will move quite a bit to the negative as our bodies are neg. charged. the other workers barely moved the needle. I'm not saying this has anything to do with dousing I'm just noting a difference. Also I can feel electrical leakage that no one else can. maybe this is why I'm good at dousing?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago, tried to find a capped off PVC pipes end. Ended up shoving some 18AWG solid down it with the end hooked up to a two box detector. Worked great! Probably wouldn't work for your application though. Probing would work well in an area where the soil is hard & dug soil softer. GPR would be the next best, if the budget allows. For a PD, contracting it out would be cost efficient.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread