PVC pipe locator
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Oct 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro
    6 times

PVC pipe locator

Has anyone had any success locating pvc pipe? I have come across only two tools that seem to offer possibilities. The first is a ground probe rod, which only helps if you already know the general area to probe. And the other is a sort of dowsing mechanism which I have seen for sale at numerous web sites, including those selling utility locating equipment.

I would like to hear from anyone that has had any success in this area as I have not.

This is not meant to include any long range locating equipment.

Thanks for reading.

Bob

us
    Oct 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro
    6 times

Re: PVC pipe locator

Just in case you are wondering why I have asked about this, I am aware of several documented cases of bundles of cash being buried in sections of PVC pipe. I have a number of friends in law enforcement and they tell me that a number of drug dealers are doing that now. They also tell me that their tools are limited to ground probes or ground penetrating radar if they suspect very large amounts of cash.

Just do a Google search on "Cash buried in pvc" and you will find numerous stories.

dld
    us
    Apr 2010
    NE Fla
    ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
    2 times

I have found pvc pipe with water in it dowsing with bent coat hangers, we use to find elec wires, gas pipes and such on jobs.
    For pvc with cash or drugs in it, I doubt it would work

get a piece put some cash in it and try

us
    Jun 2010
    Baltimore MD
    AT PRO
    131 times

Ages ago I tried dowsing with a couple of bent welding rods, and once with hangers. I didn't get anywhere. I don't mean to dissuade you from trying, but don't waste one dollar buying dowsing rods. Most of the old stories about dowsing either involved using something home-made or found on site (the forked stick).

In China, the original I Ching oracle used twigs because they weren't even worth the 3 cents used today. You pick the coins from spare change, use them, and then spend them. I think that's probably a good way do look at dowsing rods. Any "specialness" in the rods gets between you and your target. Also that way you're not getting scammed into buying extra fancy bent wire with no resale value.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    930 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Probes or GPR.

That's it.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    May 2003
    E. Tennessee
    Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
    36 times

dousing works..I personally can't do it but my father could and i knew a well driller who could give a fairly accurate estimate of the depth of an underground stream. I've seen my dad use bent coat hangers to locate the older cast iron sewer lines when a water dept. crew had no luck finding it with thier equipment.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2006
    Fremont, Ohio
    Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560
    919 times

I have had good success locating any type of underground pipe, clay, pvc, iron,steel, copper, etc., using the bent coat hanger or bent copper wire. You just form two equal lengths of wire into an "L" shape. I make mine about 5" x 14", placing the 5" sections one in each hand with thumbs up. Hold the wire loosely so it can rotate freely. You can take a Bic pen body for each hand and place the wire inside them so they rotate smoother. Point both wires straight ahead and begin walking slowly. As you pass over buried pipe or drainage tile the wires will begin to rotate towards each other and they will join as you cross the center line of the buried pipe. Say you are walking east to west, the detected pipe will lie North-South.

With a little practice you can walk alot faster and cover alot of ground.

I cannot explain how this works, it just does for some people and for others it will not. I didn't believe it till I tried it. Myself and some co-workers experimented with it and out of 20 people about 70 percent could do it, the rest could not. It is worth a try, and I hope it works for you.

http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/farm...ter-pipes.html
    Research and ye shall find!

us
    Mar 2010
    Beaumont California
    Whites GMT,MXT,GOLD MONSTER 1000
    9 times

Dousing works for me. I have worked in a hosp 40yrs as a steam engineer in the engineering dept and we douse to find water lines , fire loops and what not in the ground. I was taught by an old plumber that worked for JPL and he told me to use brass rod or silver rod the purer the better. when I am over the line the rods swing out. One difference between me and people that have no luck dousing is if I take a analog volt meter and press my thumbs on the probes the needle will move quite a bit to the negative as our bodies are neg. charged. the other workers barely moved the needle. I'm not saying this has anything to do with dousing I'm just noting a difference. Also I can feel electrical leakage that no one else can. maybe this is why I'm good at dousing?
    God, Guns, & Guts created this country, God bless our soldiers as they are all heros. Live each day so when your feet hit the ground the devil says dammit he's up.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2798 times

Years ago, tried to find a capped off PVC pipes end. Ended up shoving some 18AWG solid down it with the end hooked up to a two box detector. Worked great! Probably wouldn't work for your application though. Probing would work well in an area where the soil is hard & dug soil softer. GPR would be the next best, if the budget allows. For a PD, contracting it out would be cost efficient.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Sponsored Links