MD epidemic

Nov 15, 2010
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal, wader,Vaquero,Ace 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pics of a digger i made. Cuts those plugs good and pops them out even better does not bend like the hunting knife i used.

Here are the specs.

Made out of M-2(high speed steel) 60-62 Rockwell .170" x 1 1/2 x 6 3/4.
One side has a straight edge and the other side is thicker with staggered teeth to cut through bigger roots. It also has
a magnet for that hard to find small iron and it works great as you can see in the picture ,but might not pick up rusty iron as well.

Happy Huntings, Epi

Attachments

• Knife.JPG
    Knife.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 1,598
  • straight edge.JPG
    straight edge.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 1,453
  • K9.jpg
    K9.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,374
  • magnet.JPG
    magnet.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,341
  • Knife.JPG
    Knife.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 1,450
  • magnet2.JPG
    magnet2.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,353
  • staggered teeth.JPG
    staggered teeth.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,329
  • straight edge.JPG
    straight edge.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 1,381
  • K6.jpg
    K6.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,364
  • K7.jpg
    K7.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,350
  • K9.jpg
    K9.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,342

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: Great work on the digger! I cant figure how you made the cutting teeth, they are sure some rippers! Do you own or work at a machine shop? Are you going to make some to sell ? :coffee2: HH Extractor

OP
OP
M

MD epidemic

Nov 15, 2010
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
extractor said:
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: Great work on the digger! I cant figure how you made the cutting teeth, they are sure some rippers! Do you own or work at a machine shop? Are you going to make some to sell ? :coffee2: HH Extractor

Yes, I am a toolmaker and yes I am working on one for a fellow detectorist and have a few different style blanks cut. But i won't be making or selling many.There's a lot of
work involved and most will not pay what they are worth.So when get tired I of working on them I will probably end up with a nice collection of diggers. LOL
But I am having fun and enjoy making my own tools, also made a scoop and working on another.

Truly a custom digger
Here's a pic of the one in process, hunting knife style.
Epi

Attachments

• K8.jpg
    K8.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,300
  • K3.jpg
    K3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,273
  • K4.jpg
    K4.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,256
  • K5.jpg
    K5.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,255

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey MD if by chance you was to make another one with the teeth down both sides like the first one pictured I'd sure love to have one .\

:icon_thumright: thanks Tank

OP
OP
M

MD epidemic

Nov 15, 2010
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
Hey MD if by chance you was to make another one with the teeth down both sides like the first one pictured I'd sure love to have one .\

Like these?

Attachments

• sister1.JPG
    sister1.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,192
  • project2.JPG
    project2.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,175

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD epidemic said:
Tank69 said:

Like these?

Ya I like that double edge cutter like that :icon_thumright:

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Wow :hello2: that's some outstanding craftsmanship on those tools. It's really different, very aggressive design, wouldn't want to accidentally drop that on my foot. Why the hollowed out center? That's a great idea to add the magnet, I hope it stays in place. Also saw that this was your 6Th post on Tnet Welcome to a great website. Don't be surprised if you receive several Pm's on people wanting to purchase one of these beautiful diggers. It's hard to find ones that will last and not break. You also said that you were working on some scoops, care to show us your ideas? As you can see from my avatar made my own water scoop, it ain't pretty, it ain't light but it really works for me. I don't have the tools you have to make good quality digging tools or scoops, made mine in my garage with basic tools a big vice and lots of muscle to bend the metal the way I needed it to fit.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
that shallow spot in the center looks like it would hold the coin as your pulling it outa the hole. that thing is sturdy lookin, looks like you could skin someone if ya had too.

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Looks like a well thought out and well made digger to to me! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

I do like the embedded magnet in the blade and the robustness of them, good work.

goonie1day

Jan 6, 2011
Lynchburg Va.
Detector(s) used
MXT w/ Sunray DX-1 probe. D2 and 12" Super Coil, 6" DD, Teknetics T2 LTD 10X12 SEF and a Propointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome looking blade! Question, How did you cut those teeth in there? Its so precision looking it almost looks to be done by wire E.D.M. Great job!

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
M-2 holy cow, bet it'll hold an edge. I had a metal drum top I wanted to cut out of my way today but my digger was not up to the task. Could have used that tool.

Did you run the teeth on a wire? That is a nice looking tool, how does it hold up to prying?

Do you offer one with inserted teeth, indexable even? What is the recomended SFM for that bad boy? (just kidding)

Nice
Jeff

OP
OP
M

MD epidemic

Nov 15, 2010
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the compliments and yes i did Wedm the teeth.

Epi

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
absolutely awesome digger! The one in the first post is the winner in my book. So, humor us, how much would you be looking for? I am seriously interested, as it appears are many others......
The better the warranty, the deeper my pockets can get. Try me!

jeremy

Greenie
Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen a lot of diggers on here but i realy want one of those

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I am a toolmaker

......... and a good one too, even as toolmakers go - themselves a talented bunch.

Very nice job. I like the tooth design; well thought out. The other execution is also very nice.

I'm interested in your efforts for a water scoop. Keep us posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread