Beach Hunting: Sand Scoop Question...

EL Pirata Loco

Dec 7, 2008
Detector(s) used
RADIO SHACK 1000
Just need advice from anyone who is using beach scoops in the soft sand.

Im a newbie....and i am looking to get my first sort of professional sand scoop. Like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/beach-coin-sand...799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b4b7b8ff

Will this trap small rings and coins? How good do these work? do i just drag it towards me when digging? I hope its not a stupid question...

Thanks in advance, AL in North Miami Beach

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will find yourself placing your foot on the rear of the basket to get through the shell layer...collapsing that basket..
Are you gonna stay on the dry sand or go wading?

S

stefen

I happen to have one thats similar but with a handle that screws on in sections...can make it any length needed depending on your height, arm length and other factors...

No problems in wet or dry sands...

Don't have shell layers so can't address that problem...

Might see what others are using and maybe ask them if thiers is adequate...

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That scoop will be fine in loose sand as long as you dont have to chase the deep or wet ones. But that is where the goodies are.

If you keep at it, you will wind up in the water, chasing rings, needing a faster, heftier scoop. This is what we use;

http://www.gold-scoop.com/

it's the bomb, it works, it's fast and unbreakable...best I have ever used.
You will learn to love the 90 degree angle up on dry sand, as you can dig out the target, kick it out to flatten the pile with your foot, locate it again and sweep it up with this scoop faster than other guys screwing around with the baby scoops, and never bend over!!!.
under $200, pays for itself real fast if you wanna work it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are correct, I highly recommend a better scoop if your going to hunt in the wetsand at all.... You will break the handle on that one in the wet sand here in Florida, and I am speaking from experience.....

My first scoop was like that one as far as handle diameter. I broke it the first month, we have a shell base here, if your digging in our wet sand your going to be digging in the shell... One you posted is fine for the dry fluff sand, but not for our wet packed sand here in Florida....

Personally I find far more goodies in the wet sand and in the water than I do in the dry sand..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread