Please help me pick a detector

LadyDragonWolf

May 31, 2007
Bremerton, WA
I currently have a cheap, several year old radio shack metal detector. It's ok for starting out, but I would like to make this into a more serious hobby.

I am looking for something relatively lightweight.
I would like something that can, at the very least, tell me "No Alice, don't dig up that bottlecap/pulltab/rusty nail/iron stake"
I can't afford much and would like to keep it in the 100 dollar range... 150 would be absolute max, but would prefer less than 100.
If it can tell me approximately how far down something is, that would rock.

So basically, what's the best I can get for under 150?

Links and descriptions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alice, keep saving and get yourself an Ace 250 from Garrett. I have seen them for 212.00 Shop around. You have outgrown your radio shack and given your available funds I think you would be dissapointed with anything less than a good entry level detector. A radio shack is considerably less than a good entry level detector. I personally think that an Ace 250 is probably the best detector in this price range. Whatever you decide have fun and HH

OP
OP
LadyDragonWolf

LadyDragonWolf

May 31, 2007
Bremerton, WA
kellyco??? titan???

Ok, I found a factory refurbished Titan 2000 XD w/ 10" coil.
Is that a good detector?
Is KellyCo a reputable dealer? Anyone have any problems with them?

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KellyCo is a big mail order company and sells quite a lot of detectors , many order from them and yes they are safe .

As to the Titan 2000 I do not know anything about it . You will just have to do some reading on this brand and see if it is one that you want to go with.
We tend to stay with the known brands and company's that make them , as there are a few that are not worth the money and if it is if you need it fixed by warranty were do you send it to be fixed .
Some have to be sent to China !

calbear

Jan 29, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, Eric Foster PI, White's gold detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at Tesoro detector. the one I would recommend is: http://www.tesoro.com/product/detectors/compadre/
I think you get this one for around $150.00 I know there are a couple of Tesoro Dealers on this forum. This Compadre is hot on Gold Jewelry. Has a lifetime warrenty and best of all "Made in the USA"

OP
OP
LadyDragonWolf

LadyDragonWolf

May 31, 2007
Bremerton, WA
Here's the specs for the titan... All I understand is on/off and made in the usa lmao

But it doesn't say what batteries it takes.

The ace 250 sounds good based on reviews, and I'll look into the tesoro here shortly.

Thanks so far folks!

Titan 2000xd Features:
• Touchpad control buttons
• Power on and off
• Sensitivity level control
• Large easy view Target ID/ depth reading LCD screen
• Disc./All metal [Mode button]
• Discrimination level control
• Low battery warning indicator
• Hi/Low sensitivity indicator
• ITD [instant Target Discrimination] control
• Notch mode control
• 4 tone Audio Target ID. Bass/Low/Med/High Tones
• 9 Zone Programmable Visual Target ID With Notch
• True slow motion All Metal Mode
• Automatic Tuning
• Automatic Ground balance
• Visual Depth Reading 0 to 8 plus inches [in 1 inch increments]
•New 10 inch "Optimum Matched
Search coil"
• 1/4 inch headphone jack
• Removable battery door
• Lightweight and durable construction
• Comfortable foam armrest
• Comfortable foam hand grip
• Fully adjustable lower stem
• Built-in detector stand
• Operating frequency VLF 6.8 kHz.
• Weight 2.5 lbs (Includes Battery Weight)
• Length: 52.5 inches extended/max. position 46.0 inches Collapsed/ shortest position.
• Made in the U.S.A.
• 5-year warranty

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008
There are lots of machines out there but for the pricerange you are looking for, not so many... especially if you are looking to get "serious"

My 2 cents is to save a little more $$$ and in the meantime do some more research on exactly what you are wanting in a detector... functions, abilities, weight, batterylife, accessories, etc...

I started with a $40 pawn shop special ( whites classic III ) I got addicted after that cause I found some cool stuff with the 'oL beep and dig. Well, Like you I got serious and tore through the internet for about two months while I was saving. It came down to 2 machines and I couldn't be happier with the one I ended up with.

Good luck in your search for YOUR right detector! Oh and Ebay is an excellent way to get rid of some stuff you may not need and help fund the purchase of your new machine... HH

charlieg

Apr 8, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
I have the Tesoro Silver Umax, and have found clad, jewelry, silver coins, etc. Not a salt water friendly machine, but I mostly detect the dry beach, parks, tot lots, woods. Inexpensive fun, with a lifetime warranty. The Tesoro Compadre is reportedly another fine, basic beep and dig machine.....for about $160.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At your budget, buy the Tesoro Compadre. It's a great detector. You will use it for years.

I own one. It is much better than the Titan.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree if i could do it all again I would have started with the tesoros. I owned the ace 250 and it was an excellent beginner model. I've also owned many bounty hunters. Still use the tracker iv as a solid backup unit. Anyway I would say tesoros or if you could jump into a higher class of metal detector and try ebay for a used one? Or the classifieds on here. :icon_thumright:
You can usually sell it for the same price if you end up not liking the unit too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions