Looking for a New Detector....any advice?

J-dude

Sep 14, 2010
Greenacres WA
I am looking at getting a new detector and am looking for some advice....the budget will be around 300.00 or so. I currently have a Bounty Hunter Land Star which works great. I have been looking at the Ace 250, Teknetics Delta 4000 or one of the MP Series (MP3,MPX,MPX Pro). I live in Washington State and mostly hunt beaches (salt and fresh water) and parks. Thanks for the help!!!

Also, if there is a different detector that you would suggest please let me know.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
J-Dude, the only tough part of your request is giving advice on salt water beaches. Unless you are using a pulse or dual/multi frequency detector, the wet salt sand is going to play havoc with your detector. There are a couple of single frequency detectors that seem to do well in those environments, like the AT Pro or the G2 made by Teknetics, but they are the exceptions to the rule and outside your budget of $300.

You can use the Ace 250 or Delta on the dry sand no problem with good results, but you will need to crank your sensitivity way down in the wet sand. You will sacrifice a lot of depth in the process.

As to which you should get, I would give serious consideration to the Delta. There is a gentleman named Monte who posts on various forums and is extremely knowledgable. He lives in Oregon, near your neck of the woods. In that kind of soil environment, he has a very high opinion of the way the Teknetics machines work out there and he has high praise for the Delta.

I believe he posts quite a bit on Findmall, so you may want to take a look.

Soil conditions around the country obviously vary a great deal, and not all detectors work the same in all environments. That is something you must take into consideration no matter what you buy.

If there is a club in your area, I would get to know those folks as they can be a great help.

Good luck on your final choice.

OP
OP
J

J-dude

Sep 14, 2010
Greenacres WA
Smudge,

Thank you for the information.....It looks as though I will have a bit more of a budget than first thought so I am looking at some other machines in the 300-600 price range. I have been researching the Teknetics Omega 8000.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might take a look at the Tesoro detectors , they work very well and do not cost as much as some of the brands out.
I really like them and they have a life time warranty .
PM me if you need any help and I will do what I can with answers .

OP
OP
J

J-dude

Sep 14, 2010
Greenacres WA
Daedalus said:
You might take a look at the Tesoro detectors , they work very well and do not cost as much as some of the brands out.
I really like them and they have a life time warranty .
PM me if you need any help and I will do what I can with answers .

Thank you....I will look into the Tesoro as well.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
J-Dude, if you are now in the $600 range, I would give that AT Pro from Garrett some very serious examination.

OP
OP
J

J-dude

Sep 14, 2010
Greenacres WA
Well it seems I have narrowed it down a bit...

Garrett AT Pro
Tek G2
Fisher F-5
Tek Omega 8k

Going to continue my research and make a decision soon. I really like the features of teh AT Pro (waterproof etc) but am a bit concerned with some of the reviews I've read. Ahhh who would've thought it could be so hard picking a new machine :)

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
J-dude said:
Well it seems I have narrowed it down a bit...

Garrett AT Pro
Tek G2
Fisher F-5
Tek Omega 8k

Going to continue my research and make a decision soon. I really like the features of teh AT Pro (waterproof etc) but am a bit concerned with some of the reviews I've read. Ahhh who would've thought it could be so hard picking a new machine :)

Pulling the trigger and making a choice is tough. Just know that no detector is perfect.

As to the AT PRO problems you have been seeing, most of them related to the first run of production that had overly sensitive coils that developed a falsing problem. Garrett has addressed that problem. The new ones run fine and the other coils were either replaced or repaired. So no worries there. :icon_thumleft:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
AT Pro I have, still need to learn it better but seems a good choice. F5 I had, and probably should've kept. Tek G2 & Tek Omega 8000, been reading about them, both sound good. So I don't think any of them would be a mistake. Best wishes, George (MN)

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Once your in the price range of 300 - 600 your thinning out your dud choices significantly.
I have the At pro now and its been pretty good so far. I need to learn it a lil better but its getting the job done. If you can get your hands on different kinds before buying is really the best way to go. I think AT pro is most geared for everything including your wallet more so than any other detector right now. If these originally came out with no problems then these things would have really taken off.
Now garrett is probably going to revamp it and rename it then that model will be the end all be all.
I wouldn't overlook the tesoros either.
hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread