Sand scoops for under 10 dallars

mobile miner

Mar 10, 2010
I was looking to make a sand scoop out of a piece of stainless and while deciding on how to bend and drill it I happened to think of my mothers flour scoop. I looked up flour scoops on the net and guess what. You can get cast alumium scoops for less than 10 bucks. Beats the 60 bucks for the ones you see advertised on metal detection sites. They have lots of sizes.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The least expensive would be using just your fingers.

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in an IKEA store in Round Rock, TX over the weekend, and if I had had room in my luggage, would have bought two or three of the stainless steel kitchen utensil caddies -- essentially about 5 by 7-inch round buckets with drainage holes. Easy to adapt and easy to attach a handle -- and $2.99!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those were never intended to be used on sand. Go ahead and throw away $10, because when it breaks the first day thats exactly what you have done.

If you want to hunt the beach, get the proper tools!

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I have been looking at different kitchen scoops. How about a french fry scoop? $8.83 on amazon.

Attachments

• frenchfry scoop.jpg
    frenchfry scoop.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 406

rcliffor

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2011
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a galvanized grain scoop at the local farm store for under $7. I drilled a bunch of holes in it (just smaller than a dime) to convert it to a sand scoop. The only tricky part is needing to insert a piece of wood inside while drilling toprovide a little rigidity. I have used this scoop for about 5 years now and it still works fine on the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions