Will an Ace-250 be a big step down for a veteran detectorist?

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800 & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys.. Just want to get a quick opinion on this. I've been metal detecting for around 20 years and have owned 3 Spectrum XLTs, a 5900DI Pro, and a Fisher F-75. About a year ago I got into a financial mess and had to sell my XLT to make ends meet. Since then I've managed to save up a couple hundred dollars toward a new detector. At first I was planning to just keep saving until I could afford a used high end detector, but after having a chance to try out a friend's Ace-150 I was really impressed with it for such a cheap detector. It was light weight, comfortable, felt rugged, lots of features normally found in higher end detectors, and very easy to use. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it didn't have an all metal pinpointing mode. Then I read about the Ace-250 online which does have a pinpoint mode so I decided to buy one (I should have it by saturday)..

But now I'm second guessing my purchase. I've read many great reviews of the Ace-250 but most say its for beginners. So now I'm wondering if maybe I jumped the gun a little and should have waited and purchased another used XLT or something similar. Opinions? I'd really like to hear from anyone who has went from something like a DFX or XLT to an ACE-250. Were you disappointed with it? I do realize that its a 200 dollar detector and I can't expect it to perform like a 900 dollar machine, but I'm hoping that I won't be super disappointed with it.

chicepo

Jun 5, 2008
Calabash, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250/Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi NWGA,
I have had an Ace 250 for 4 years and do allot of mixed hunting. One week at the beach and next at an old plantation. My friends that I detect with all have Whites and love them. I find at the plantations I do as well if not better. The Ace is easy to use and when it says there is something in the ground you can believe it. At the beach dry sand its great never misses anything. In the wet sand you need to turn the sensitivity way down to get rid of false signals. I have just pruchased my 2nd Ace this time the 350 not much more in cost and you get the DD coil I love it.
Go to my profile and check out my website to see my finds. HH
MicMac

OP
OP
NWGA-RelicHunter

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Micmac said:
Hi NWGA,
I have had an Ace 250 for 4 years and do allot of mixed hunting. One week at the beach and next at an old plantation. My friends that I detect with all have Whites and love them. I find at the plantations I do as well if not better. The Ace is easy to use and when it says there is something in the ground you can believe it. At the beach dry sand its great never misses anything. In the wet sand you need to turn the sensitivity way down to get rid of false signals. I have just pruchased my 2nd Ace this time the 350 not much more in cost and you get the DD coil I love it.
Go to my profile and check out my website to see my finds. HH
MicMac

Thanks MicMac,
Thats great to hear. Can't wait to get mine and get back into the hobby! On my way to check out your website now. Thanks again!

{edit} Those are some nice relics! Looks like you do pretty well with the ace.

OP
OP
NWGA-RelicHunter

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick update. I got the ACE-250 and tried it for a couple of weeks. It is indeed a great detector for the money. However, I decided that I just have to try the flagship White's machine. So I traded off one of my rifles and have a new-to-me Spectra V3i on the way. :icon_thumright:

baldy804

May 6, 2010
good decision i had the same problem a year ago sold my xlt and regreted it so i thought ace 250 sounds soo good because of all the features and decent price i bought it and used it for 3 months almost everyday cause im just addicted to the hobby lol anyway its a good machine for BEGINNERS but cant hold up to a seasoned detectorist expectations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread