skysensor

Feb 6, 2012
Rochester, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first post here.

I generally hate forum posts (on any forum) that ask "Help me choose a [insert name of gadget here]." Usually, so little information is provided that a well-considered response is impossible. Also, I suspect that some percentage of people making these requests are simply trolling to stir up a debate. On the flip side, I think most people are prone to recommend whatever make and model of gadget they are currently using.

So, acknowledging how lame the question may be, and recognizing that I'll have to take the response for what it's worth: "Please help me determine an upgrade from my Ace 250."

Geology: Upper Midwest
Locations: Parks, school and churchyards, tot lots, occasional home sites. Moderate to trashy conditions.
Target: Coins. Silver coins.
What would I like to improve over the Ace 250? Depth, Discrimination.
Important considerations: Display, decent target ID, depth indicator, pinpointer, tones
Preference: Moderate to fast swing speed
Not important: Weight, waterproof, battery life

Me: Hobbyist. I'm still employed full-time and will be for many years. I'm not an every day, or even every week, coin hunter. It's a hobby, albeit one I enjoy. I don't hunt when the weather is bad. I'm not an "all day" hunter: I go out for a few hours, or for a full morning or afternoon. I've found the Ace to be great for vacuuming the tot lots (I've found plenty of clad and a parking ramp load of toy cars), but I really want to hunt older locations for silver. Some of the parks I've hunted are very trashy, making for a frustrating hunt. I prefer a normal swing pace of perhaps two seconds side-to-side.

Planning to gift my Ace to my retired stepfather.

Willing to spend $500 to $1000 for a "better" replacement.

I've spent a lot of time over the past few weeks reading reviews and forums, watching youtube, etc. I've researched the V3X, Safari, F75, F5, CZ3D, T2, and many others.

Thanks for patiently reading to the end.

So, what say you?

skysensor

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jmho, and then becouse they are the only two I've used and in this order, The Whites MXT, imho A great machine all around. And the Garrett AT Pro, im still learnin it but It too is a Great machine IMHO
MXT=700.00
AT Pro= approx. 600.00

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread