Lesche Piranha

aoyue2702

May 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone got one?

I was debating getting the Piranha or the Sampson 31 serrated, and since the Sampson was out of stock @ newengland detectors, I went ahead and ordered a Piranha.

It should ship out today,

Whats your thoughts on it?

Piranha3.jpg

Piranha2.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a super tool for dirt and roots out in the woods or fields. But if someone used it in a state or local park they could get a citation or just shot in the head by a park employee as there might be a bounty on Th'ers.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like overkill to me

OP
OP
A

aoyue2702

May 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like overkill to me

I got the Piranha specifically for use in the woods and mountains, or farm etc....

I still intend on getting a Sampson T handle serrated once they come into stock, for use on lake bottoms, parks, etc... but most parks and things of that nature I use a digging knife...

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Piranha specifically for use in the woods and mountains, or farm etc....

I still intend on getting a Sampson T handle serrated once they come into stock, for use on lake bottoms, parks, etc... but most parks and things of that nature I use a digging knife...

yeah that would be great for wooded and hard bottom ground where hole size isnt an issue H.H.

OP
OP
A

aoyue2702

May 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know when N.E.D will have the sampson T handle back in stock? How often do they go out of stock.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know when N.E.D will have the sampson T handle back in stock? How often do they go out of stock.

i see them on ebay for about 60 bucks

OP
OP
A

aoyue2702

May 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Piranha in the mail last week, I've took it out hunting 3 time so far, and I love it. It's the perfect size and I don't have to bend over to dig a hole.

I did notice that about 1/2 inch from the blade tip, I have a small bend/dent in the blade about the size of a nickle. I don't know if it was made that way or if I did it, but I haven't done any prying other than normal, so I assume it was made that way.

The shovel is welded extremely well, and has blue paint with primer underneath. I peeled the warning sticker off, and sprayed a little WD40 on a rag to get the sticker residue off, but it started taking the paint off and showing the purple primer below the paint.

I honestly don't care if the paint comes off, because its a shovel and will get dirty , Overall, it's a really really nice shovel and cuts VERY well, and is exactly the right height.

The bend/dent in the blade is a minor annoyance, its one of those things that doesn't effect the function but since I "know its there" it bothers me a little bit. I didn't fully inspect the shovel before use, so I don't know if it was made that way or if I did it, although I think it would be hard to bend/dent in that particular spot without the tip its self bending.

I just ordered a sampson serrated to compare to the piranha, I should have it by the end of the week.

I'll post comparison photos once it arrives, along with a couple reviews.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aoyue2702

May 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so apparently, my shovel from NED hasn't even shipped yet, even know it was listed as "In Stock" . Look like it will be another week or so.

MongoLloyd

Mar 20, 2012
Mendocino County, CA
Detector(s) used
NEW DETECTOR: Minelab CTX-3030
Garrett AT Pro w/ Black Widow headphones; Garrett Pro-point; Lesche digger; "The Bomb #2" Sheath
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Piranha is not a "Lesche Tool" produced tool. It is produced by "Predator Tools". The original Lesche Tool manufacturer is WW Manufacturing, founded by Walter Lesche... a machinist from Germany. I believe WW Manufacturing is the company that holds the "Lesche" brand name. Predator Tools, according to one of their execs, lost the rights to use the Lesche name, probably as a result of a legal battle involving trademark/copyright infringement. They clearly are not too happy about the decision, based on how they treat folks that contact them regarding Lesche tool issues.

If you have a "Lesche" digging tool that has an orange or black handle, chances are, it is not an original Lesche tool. If your "Lesche" digger has an eagle stamped into the blade, it is not an official Lesche tool, but rather, one of the copies being sold by a company clearly still trying to identify themselves with the brand, since they identify themselves on their website as a "Division of Pamela Lesche Enterprises Inc".

The piranha? A Predator Tool, not an official Lesche tool. The LESCHE brand, WW Manufacturing, produces a similar line of spades called The Ground Shark, or the Sampson.

Goldmoon

May 6, 2012
BC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Ironclad "Viking" Digger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm totally gonna make one of these today!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally think that it is one of the nicest shovels out there but I just can't justify the cost for it. So I talked to a friend and showed him the pictures of the piranha and he did a clone. Total cost $20. Does it work??? It digs and cuts through roots like butter....

Attachments

• image-2724459976.jpg
    image-2724459976.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 738

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Resurrecting an old thread! Does anyone have any pictures comparing the Predator Piranha, with the Lesche Sampson (or maybe some other popular shovels)? I'm looking for my first shovel (my one & only shovel), and the Predator appears to strike all the right notes for me, but I've never seen one in person. I've seen the Sampson shovel, and I'm wondering how much bigger/wider it may be. Also, for those who have the Piranha, is there something about its design that prevents it from making clean holes in a lawn? Comments above make it seem that it's not able....

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got the Lesche by WW...serrated on one side, smooth on the other. It's wicked. Great for Timber areas...I'd never think about using it around towns or where people are to see it. Parks, Churches, Schools etc.

It doesn't matter how good you are with a shovel...when people see those, they automatically believe it's going to tear up the ground. It'll cut through cables, lines and sprinkler systems quick. And you for sure don't want to use it anywhere near underground power lines or fiber optics. Very Sharp and you don't realize it til your first time using it.

Great Shovels!

Kace

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the Lesche by WW...serrated on one side, smooth on the other. It's wicked. Great for Timber areas...I'd never think about using it around towns or where people are to see it. Parks, Churches, Schools etc.

It doesn't matter how good you are with a shovel...when people see those, they automatically believe it's going to tear up the ground. It'll cut through cables, lines and sprinkler systems quick. And you for sure don't want to use it anywhere near underground power lines or fiber optics. Very Sharp and you don't realize it til your first time using it.

Great Shovels!

Kace

Kace,

Which Lesche do you have? And if you could have only one shovel, which one would it be?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Kace,

Which Lesche do you have? And if you could have only one shovel, which one would it be?

Andy...I'd have to say this Lesche, by WW. I believe it's the Sampson model.

I've seen where there's blade covers being made for these that you wear on your belt...don't go that way if you get one...if you'd trip or fall and that handle hits the ground or a log... the blade would cut right through you.

Kace

Here's Mine

IMG_2938.PNG

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've had mine 13 years and love it. Bought another hand tool from the Lesche family 2 weeks ago. I use my piranha where appropriate. You'll like it.

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy...I'd have to say this Lesche, by WW. I believe it's the Sampson model.

I've seen where there's blade covers being made for these that you wear on your belt...don't go that way if you get one...if you'd trip or fall and that handle hits the ground or a log... the blade would cut right through you.

Kace

Here's Mine

View attachment 1640826

Never thought about that, but it's a warning I will heed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions