Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    May 2012
    Palmer, AK
    Minelab safari, minelab excalibur 2, Whites GMT
    17 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

waterproof detector

im going to buy a waterproof detector in the next week or two. now, i own a minelab safari, and a garret ace 250. i had the ace for a week before i decided i really wanted to get into this hobby serious, so i had some extra cash and just ate it and bought the minelab knowing id have a professional land machine. now that i want to get into water detecting. i have just enough saved for the excaliber 2. but i was thinking, i hear minelab is supposed to be the cadillac of metal detectors, and if getting the excaliber 2 is the best you could get, ill go with it. it sure is expensive and i wouldnt mind saving a little, but i dont want to go the route i went before, as in getting the ace 250 for a week before buying the safari. so my question is.......is the minelab excaliber 2 considered in the professional detecting world the best of the best...if so, thats what i want. id like to get some professional advice here

us
    May 2012
    Palmer, AK
    17 times
    screw it, im getting the excaliber and not looking back

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    2457 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    There is no best detector...its like asking which car is best. From what I hear the excals break down more than the other major brands. Customer service is low on the list and it takes a long time to get one repaired. Someone just sent theirs in for repair and its going to take 30 days to get it back. The excal is one of the best water detectors if you can deal with all the problems and cost.

us
    May 2012
    Palmer, AK
    17 times
    i know the whole best detector thing, but minelab seems to be the ones making the multiple frequency md's... the safari i have shoots out 28 freq. , and the excal, 17.... dont see any other brands doing that. and im no physicist, but it just makes sense that the ability to have that many freq without changing coils would make it better at doing what it does as opposed to a single or three freq....by best i mean, go deep and pick up small..there has to be one if all md's were tested side by side that would have the best ratio. even if its a minute lead, so far i only see serious pros using the excal.

us
    May 2012
    Palmer, AK
    17 times
    ... by the way, nice bass

us
    May 2012
    Palmer, AK
    17 times

us
    May 2012
    Palmer, AK
    17 times
    !

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    142 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    Well let me tell you something on radio frequency. A detector is a transceiver and as such it sends out and receives radio frequency. Now a single frequency detector has a one frequency at which the coil is set and it will be optimal for that frequency. A multi frequency as the minelab has a coil that can at best have a compromise of all the frequencies it sends and receives, it can't be optimal on all the frequencies. That is why minelabs aren't all that famous for deep finds, and that is why that not all the md brands use that system.
    The only real advantage of a multi frequency machine like the minelab is canceling the soil. But if you have a good VLF single frequency machine it can outperform a minelab if the user knows how to properly use the detector. Minelab is easier to use. Personally I don't care much about minelabs it might be a good detector but I am still convinced there are better ones out there.

us
    May 2012
    Palmer, AK
    17 times
    well i bought the excaliber, and its pretty awesome, i liked the idea that it can discriminate as opposed to the pi detectors, and here in dirty bew jersey, there is a whole lot of trash due to a whole lot of people, and let me tell you im glad i
    bought a discriminator. now im getting certified for scuba, and once im ok with diving, im md'ing with the fishes

Sponsors