TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have a dead Garret pro pointer they would be willing to give up for parts. Mine was acting up and having some circuit board building and wiring experience I took it apart to look at it. What I wasnt counting on was on and off button getting caught on the edge as I was pulling the innards out and the minuscule spring on the switch sailing across the room. :o/ Dang it.

aoyue2702

May 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always install a aftermarket switch.... little bit of soldering required.

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aoyue2702 said:
You could always install a aftermarket switch.... little bit of soldering required.

Great idea!!! I hadn't thought of that. I didnt think about it still being under warranty when I took it apart either. Lol. I appreciate the help Aoyue2702!

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aoyue2702 said:
johnson city area

Oh cool! My parents and I went through there once as a kid.

aoyue2702

May 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would get a
aftermarket switch at radio shack. the reason your switch came apart is because you have to remove the rubber boot before disassembly or else the switch will fly everywhere lol. you can get a basic on / off switch or a momentary/on/off

aoyue2702

May 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also id call garret anyway if its still under warranty. tell them your switch stopped working... they may still fix it

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think garrett will fix a PP that has been taken apart. Well let me tell you that the same exact thing happend to me, I took it apart and bang... there goes the switch.. Well fortunately it is not a hard to find switch, You will not find the exact replacement but one that will work for sure, I found one in a local electronic shop, since they were so cheap I bought 3. Thank god I did. The first flew into pieces the exact moment I tried to push the board in (the switch was a bit bigger than the original so it didn't clear with the hight). The second one I tried to take the switch apart to fix the original switch and I found out it was not possible. The 3rd and last switch worked well after I cut the switch pole to the shortest possible size for it to clear the hight problem and it works like a charm now.
Most important thing is to get the shortest (hight) switch you can find. Take off the original and use it as an example when you go to the shop for one.

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aoyue2702 said:
i would get a
aftermarket switch at radio shack. the reason your switch came apart is because you have to remove the rubber boot before disassembly or else the switch will fly everywhere lol. you can get a basic on / off switch or a momentary/on/off

Thank you Aoyue!

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
norbyx said:
I don't think garrett will fix a PP that has been taken apart. Well let me tell you that the same exact thing happend to me, I took it apart and bang... there goes the switch.. Well fortunately it is not a hard to find switch, You will not find the exact replacement but one that will work for sure, I found one in a local electronic shop, since they were so cheap I bought 3. Thank god I did. The first flew into pieces the exact moment I tried to push the board in (the switch was a bit bigger than the original so it didn't clear with the hight). The second one I tried to take the switch apart to fix the original switch and I found out it was not possible. The 3rd and last switch worked well after I cut the switch pole to the shortest possible size for it to clear the hight problem and it works like a charm now.
Most important thing is to get the shortest (hight) switch you can find. Take off the original and use it as an example when you go to the shop for one.

Thank you Norbyx. I dont feel quiet so silly now that I know it happened to you too. LoL. I appreciate the info I will do some looking around for some switches. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions