nate7394

Aug 16, 2012
Middlesex County, MA
Detector(s) used
Deus, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am brand new to this forum and I just have a question to ask,

My previous detector was the ace 250, and I felt like it just wasn't going deep enough to find the old stuff. I generally want to hunt woods for DEEP old coins and relics. I live in MA, so I know I live in a very historical area. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

My budget is around $600

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Since relic hunting means to dig almost anything I would recommend a Tesoro metal detector, probably a tejon.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am brand new to this forum and I just have a question to ask,

My previous detector was the ace 250, and I felt like it just wasn't going deep enough to find the old stuff. I generally want to hunt woods for DEEP old coins and relics. I live in MA, so I know I live in a very historical area. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

My budget is around $600

At $600.00 it is going to be very difficult to go much past 8"-10" deep, unless you go with a pulse induction unit like a Tesoro Sand Shark, which is built for saltwater use and is 5lbs. It will punch down around 18"-20" in farm fields and woods. Good Luck!

Attachments

• u4.jpg
    u4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
nate7394

nate7394

Aug 16, 2012
Middlesex County, MA
Detector(s) used
Deus, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the replies!

I think that I am either going to buy a tesoro or an At-pro. The tesoro goes deeper, but the at pro has a screen with target ID. Is there anyone out there that has used both and would like to share their opinion?

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is more versatile, but the Tejon will definitely go deeper on relics, that's what it's made for. The Tejon has a toggle switch to quickly switch between two disc. modes, you can set it how you want, but for relics hunting in all metal and then switching as easy as a squeeze of the trigger to check it out in a disc. setting. It ground balances with the best of them. The AT Pro is great on coins and relics, but if your main objective is relic hunting get the one made specifically for it.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the replies!

I think that I am either going to buy a tesoro or an At-pro. The tesoro goes deeper, but the at pro has a screen with target ID. Is there anyone out there that has used both and would like to share their opinion?

Look at the Garrett AT Gold as well. It is a bit higher frequency than the AT Pro which is perfect for relics. It also has a true all metal mode with a threshold which will give you more punch.

The Garrett AT Gold and Pro are excellent relic machines. Here are some hunts I did with Garrett. Watch for the cannon ball I find!

rdawg14

Aug 13, 2012
NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered the ace 250 but when i was looking, i was considering the minelab Xterra 505, it runs about 550 dollars and seems to be a great machine, I just couldn't spend that much money right now. Did you consider getting a larger coil for the ace 250? might be cheaper..just a thought. HH

wayland

Aug 9, 2012
I swing an ace 350 now but in the near future I will be getting my whites vx3. There's nothing bad about the ace. Just ready to upgrade.

OP
OP
nate7394

nate7394

Aug 16, 2012
Middlesex County, MA
Detector(s) used
Deus, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the recommendations,

I am going to buy the tesoro vaquero as my main detector. The vaquero I guess is supposed to be better in iron than the tejon, and goes about as deep. Lastly, does MA have good soil for metal detecting? Or does the minerals in the ground limit the depths of VLF detectors?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread