New Excalibur II - Nickel Trick to Resolve Threshold Problems at Salt Water Beaches

Cyber Rosco

Greenie
Jul 31, 2012
Near Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Tecknetics 9000, White's: Eagle/PI1000/6000D Series 2, Garrett ADS7, GTA1000, AT3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ya'll! I'm on vacation in Maui and trying out my new Excalibur II for the first time. Works great until it detects large (overload) type objects or the waves hit and changes mineralization beneath the loop. "Sensitivity" is in automatic. The "Threshold" loses its setting and either increases in volume and/or changes its pitch to a low sounding buzz.

1, I tried raising the loop in the air for about a minute and sometimes it will settle down and recover.

2. I've taken the "Sensitivity" out of automatic and reduced it - which seems to help a bit -- but, then I lose some of the depth (not much, but some).

3. I've resorted to my "Nickel" trick :headbang: -- putting a nickel in my sandal and waving the loop over it, and after it detects the nickel - I get an even threshold tone back again. It only takes a few seconds to get my normal threshold level/pitch again.:hello2:

So, this is a trick that I can pass along to those experiencing similar issues -- however, I'm sure there are some Excal gurus out there who can explain what is happening when I'm detecting over changing mineralizations, etc. and how to settle my Excal back to normal threshold without having to resort to my "nickel" trick.

Any takers????

iamfree

May 1, 2012
nowhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have the excalibur 2 as well. im not sure the reason minelab does this, but it changes the threshold tone based on the last type of target you go over. the most annoying sound ever is when it goes over something iron and nulls. it makes the absolute worst, most annoying threshold sound after, like a "wrong" buzzer on a gameshow. it makes me cringe, like nails across a chalkboard. i have an aluminum sand scoop that i sweep that over the coil, so im constantly resetting the threshold the entire hunt. now, i paid nearly $1300 for this machine brand new, and it makes me very mad that on a machine this expensive, they would put such an unattractive sound. i cant imagine them all sitting in a room in the R&D department and saying, hey this is a great sound for iron! i just dont get it, and this post makes me want to call minelab and ask. i also have a safari, and the sounds area very pleasant, with no threshold change. the safari is a delight to use with lovely whistles while you hunt. sorry to go off topic, but, another thing about the excaliber that blows my mind is the shaft, when i first got it, i heard about the weight balance issues, but i was so exited to have "THE WATER MACHINE OF ALL WATER MACHINES" that i didnt even notice the first few hunts. then after a few hours i can barely feel my arm. i know you can get the aftermarket anderson shaft that supposed to feel a hundred times better, but for gods sake..$1300 dollars!!....there...i feel a little better i got it all out...lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it out of auto sensitivity, adjust the threshold for your beach situation at the time your hunting, you will have much better results...

You can make your own straight shaft, both of my excals have home made shafts, cost me about $25 for each shaft for all the parts including the bicycle handle.

The tone change is no big deal, since your scoop will correct it..... I have been using my excals for 5 years, it doesn't bother me in the least, especially since the threshold is turned down to sound like a small mosquito in my ear.... Volume is maxed out for targets..

iamfree

May 1, 2012
nowhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tone change is no big deal, since your scoop will correct it..... I have been using my excals for 5 years, it doesn't bother me in the least, especially since the threshold is turned down to sound like a small mosquito in my ear.... Volume is maxed out for targets..[/QUOTE]

they still could have thought the sounds out better. they have the power to put any sound they choose. to make it sound like a loud buzzer was a bad idea. even if you put the normal threshold just audible, the iron null sound is still significantly louder, and you need to keep the threshold loud enough to hear the deep targets. it just could have been done so much better, especially for $1300.
i can deal with the heavy shaft, but the noise and constant resetting does get to me. i will soon be getting into diving to really utilize this machine, which i would imagine would seem lighter underwater, where this machine was designed for. i guess i should keep a nickel under my dive gloves for resetting ;)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diving you do need the dive shaft, but on land the extended shaft works great and is fairly easy to make....By setting the threshold as I do, I have no problem hearing the deep targets, dont need it loud, just lound enough to hear the constant threshold...

OP
OP
C

Cyber Rosco

Greenie
Jul 31, 2012
Near Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Tecknetics 9000, White's: Eagle/PI1000/6000D Series 2, Garrett ADS7, GTA1000, AT3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a nickel in one sandal and a dime or penny in the other -- it was supposed to remind me of the pitch each coin makes with a rounded sound -- (my crude form of notch discrimination). Gold rings are supposed to sound close to the same pitch as a nickel, so I like to guess at what I'm digging before the scoop hits the sand -- a form of ear training. When the low pitched "buzzer" sound stays as the new threshold level -- it throws off my ear training -- hence, the nickel puts it back at the threshold frequency to find gold. (That's the theory I have, anyway...).

I guess the threshold pitch change is normal and I shouldn't get bent out of shape about it. At least I have a workaround and there is nothing wrong with my detector. Just looking for others with Excal's and what their techniques are for dealing with it.

Any other Excal tips & tricks that people have (salt, fresh water and land) are greatly appreciated while on my learning curve with it!

Found a listing on Maui's Craigslist where a newlywed lost his ring close to where I am staying. I contacted him to help locate the ring -- hoping I can do a good deed while testing out my Excal. Wish me luck!!!

iamfree

May 1, 2012
nowhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasure hunter, id like to see pictures of that shaft you made... maybe a link if you posted it elsewhere..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread