Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Aussie, I've heard to break them down, (take detector off the stick/wand/pole thingy) pack the detector part in your carry on bag. Just in case of lost luggage, you would still have the important part of your detector.
I'm sure others know more than me, I hope they will pipe in for you.

Any chance I am gonna run into you at the airport or in Sydney? LOL!
Safe travels and be well!

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I just got back from a detecting trip to UK. Had two detectors, Garrett probe, headphones, ect in a carryon bag. No problems going from the US to the UK but big problems coming home. Laws have recently changed and UK airport security would not let me carry it onto the return fight. Had to go all the way back out and check the bag. Wanted to charge me $60 for a second checked bag! Was raising a stink about it and a supervisor OKed it for free. Have not tested all yet to see if anything is damaged or broken.

So if it is an international trip, pack the "electronic" detector stuff in your checked baggage and the clothes in the carryon to avoid this hassle and wast of time getting through an international airport back to the states.

Jeff

OP
OP
A

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
Thank you all for your advice, can imagine they would freak out when they see all the wires and circuit boards through the X-ray so will wrap it well and put it in checked baggage dismantled. Thanks again.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had good luck packing everything in a square case (recycled gun case) that looks like the ones made by Pelican. I add a copy of the users manual just in case someone inspects & doesn't know what it is. On one trip a few years ago I was asked what "it" was. I pointed to the guy with the wand & said it's one of those only better. The blank look was priceless!

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've taken them multiple times. Not a problem once. The gun case is a good idea ! You're lucky if they don't charge you. I've seen guitar cases taken as carry ons..hmmm. whatever you attempt.. it doesnt hurt to call first. But, as I have experienced. There are several answers to every question..lol

Last edited:

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i was wondering that myself, i will be traveling from MEL through SYD to LAX at the end of feb. best bet is probably to call the airlines or wrap the whole thing in clothes. I have a hard enough time explaining two laptops three external hard drives, a plethora of cables, and 3 phones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread