Vibra-Probe 580 Question?

CoinHunter4Ever

Greenie
Oct 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 11DD. Lesche Digging Tool. Garrett PRO-Pointer.Garrett AT Pro. Lesche Samspon T handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was looking for a good pin pointer came across this to use with my garrett at pro and fisher f2, and was hearing some stories about the probe interfering with some MD's is this true? will this happen to my machines? also what is the depth for this probe? and if the problems are true should i get this or should i get a garrett PP? also i will be using in the beach a lot with my AT Pro,

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Vibraprobe (570?). The "range" is about an inch. It is a PI machine which means it would work very nicely on the beach (salt or fresh). The only real diff between the Probe and the Garrett is the Garrett makes noise and the Probe just vibrates. Take your Garrett to a busy park and see what happens when it starts sounding off! Those kids can run faster than I so I prefere the vibration. TTC

Samuelljackson

Dec 4, 2012
Fl
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wouldn't worry a out the interference at all. When the pinpointed is off, you shouldn't have any problems. You'll only turn it after you've taken you're scoop out. I actually have both, but only really use them when hunting at night. I tend to gravitate to the propointer over the vibraphone. Since it has a wider direction area, and intensifies as you get closer. A dap of silicon on the speaker hole, really dulls the noise.

If you are planning in getting wet the vibraprobe is the only ready built waterproof version, but its bigger and has a smaller detection field. Also I've never used a pinpointed in the water, more of a scuba thing really.

Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop. YTD Finds: Gold: 11 Sliver: 13 Platinum: 3 Rings Returned: 1

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience with the Vibra Probe 580 (which uses pulse induction) is that both of my VLF detectors (single and muli frequency) interfere with it - The Vibra Probe 580 does not interfere with my metal detectors. I have to point the search coil of the metal detector away and keep it about an arms length away or turn off the metal detector. Even though this pin pointer uses PI technology, it's maximum depth is approx one half to one inch. I especially recommend this rugged pin pointer for treasure hunting at saltwater beaches as it can be used for diving, shallow water hunting, wet sand and dry sand (where most pin pointers work). As this pin pointer only detects off the tip, you know exactly where the target is. The holder that comes with it is not suitable for use in waist to chin deep water unless modified as the pin pointer is boyant and will float out of the holster. The pin pointer will next rotate tip up and slowly sink to the bottom. This happened to me twice the last time that I hunted. The pin pointer should be positively secured by adding a velcor strip to positively secure the pin pointer in the holster. I am temporarily using an elastometer to positively secure the pin pointer
for deeper shallow water hunting and diving.

I prefer to use the less rugged Garrett Pro Pointer for dry land and fresh water beach hunting, where mineralization is not a problem. It is easier to carry - due to its more streamlined shape, and I have not experienced any Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) when using it. The Garrett Pro Pointer has about the same detection depth as the vibra probe 580. Since the Pro Pointer, also detects from its side(s) it can be used like a wand to clear areas with numerous mixed shallow targets (ferrous and non ferrous), saving having to continuously get up and down. The small LED light also comes in handy finding a target in the hole.

It is not a matter of which probe is better, but a matter of properly using the right pin pointer - for the conditions you encounter. I do not use the Garrett pro pointer at saltwater beaches as it false alarms on wet beach sand and can be destroyed if dropped in salt water, as it is not water proof.

I am very happy with both pin pointers and have received excellent support from each manufacturer.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread