DetectorPro Uniprobe, headphone/pinpointer combo, 2nd year update

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This winter marks the end of 2 years of use on the Uniprobe by DetectorPro. I bought these as recomended by Mike at Woodlands along w/ an Etrac.
I found the Uniprobe to be handy and performed well as pinpointer and very acceptable as headphones...though a smidge heavy, they adjust easily for cup up and down.
The Probe part is increadibly sensitive, being Pulse Induction there is no target ID, but there is also no "waving" it around needed and it goes DEEP!
Since it's not an "IN-LINE" style, I can leave my coil lead hidden in the shaft of the detector and only have to reach up to my earphone to flip a switch to activate, or turn a knob to tune or detune.
It's very sensitive...BBs and tiny earing backs will wear you out until you locate them....thinking about taking it next time I prospect for gold.
Battery life is reasonable, takes a single 9V, easy to change.
Now for my negative experience(s); the probe cord to earphone cup connection has an inherent weakness. The cord pulls out very easily. The company uses a tiny, special little fitting with NO strain relief. After loosing the connection the second time, I purchased a spare probe to be sent back with my repaired probe. I just pulled the cord out again (3rd time) last week and am now using the spare. I dissasembled the connector, put it back together working for now. Once inside it, I am very dissappointed in their choice of connector hardware for this important exterior input junction.
I am not harsh on the unit, never letting the probe dangle or snag and yet, it has failed me several times.
The company, so far, has repaired free, plus shipping, but I am looking to re-engineer this union with a more robust connector that includes strain relief.
But don't let my cord issues stop you from looking at the UniProbe headset. I found it less cumbersome and more powerful than the inline style of pinpointers. I found that when it was down, I REALLY missed it more after I had gotten used to the depth and sensitivity.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had mine for 3 years, there is none better. I have found gold with mine with only using the uniprobe and detector turned off hunting under playground equipment and metal bleachers where there was too much metal to use detector..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread