Help me pick a detector

kdbrich

Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Garrett 250 a couple years ago. I sold it when I began Seminary. I graduated and I'd like to get back into it.

I live in rural Nebraska. I'll be looking for coins, maybe some artifacts, that sort of thing. Probably not a lot of water. I'm considering either the Garrett 250 again, or a Fisher F2. I want something in the range of about $200-$250.

Suggestions?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello there,

me, I'm a white's fan. try a white's they take making a detector seriously and offer you a lot of
corrected information on what's in the ground before you dig. or you can find
very valuable stuff while your in a discrimination mode because the detector shows you what's in the ground.
even tho your detector is discriminating it out the icon or number will a pear.
telling you what you could be missing. other wise a beep and dig detector will walk right over a good target when there in a any kind of discrimination pattern because of the lack of the visual information.you can't watch what your pas-sin up.

OP
OP
K

kdbrich

Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello there,

me, I'm a white's fan. try a white's they take making a detector seriously and offer you a lot of
corrected information on what's in the ground before you dig. or you can find
very valuable stuff while your in a discrimination mode because the detector shows you what's in the ground.
even tho your detector is discriminating it out the icon or number will a pear.
telling you what you could be missing. other wise a beep and dig detector will walk right over a good target when there in a any kind of discrimination pattern because of the lack of the visual information.you can't watch what your pas-sin up.

ok....looking at White's website, it looks like there is a lot of variations. Got a recommendation?

dougj7

Dec 3, 2009
Ulster Co. NY
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for $215 you could get the f2 with 8" and 4" coils and a fisher f-point pinpointer. I have used the f2 and it's a great detector for the price. No experience with the garret machines.

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the supporting dealers of this site, Metal Detecting Stuff located in Spring Texas has a pretty good Fisher F2 package that includes two coils and a pin-pointer that fits nicely in your price range. The owners; Wayne and Doug are experienced metal detectorist's who can help you find the detector suited to your needs and budget. The Garrett 250 has a slightly higher operating frequency than the Fisher F2 which would make it a tad bit more sensitive to small gold. If you could up your budget just a bit the Garrett 350 has a DD coil (DD coils offer a bit more depth), plus a higher operating frequency than the 250. My opinion only here.

OP
OP
K

kdbrich

Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the supporting dealers of this site, Metal Detecting Stuff located in Spring Texas has a pretty good Fisher F2 package that includes two coils and a pin-pointer that fits nicely in your price range. The owners; Wayne and Doug are experienced metal detectorist's who can help you find the detector suited to your needs and budget. The Garrett 250 has a slightly higher operating frequency than the Fisher F2 which would make it a tad bit more sensitive to small gold. If you could up your budget just a bit the Garrett 350 has a DD coil (DD coils offer a bit more depth), plus a higher operating frequency than the 250. My opinion only here.

thanks for your help--and to everyone on the thread. I ordered the F2. Of course, now that there is snow on the ground here I won't really be using it for awhile...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread