What do you all think of the Lesche hand digger?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used the Fiskars hand trowel for awhile. I like it mostly, but recently bought the Lesche. I like the Lesche cause of the oversized hand guard, which gives you more leverage and the wider concave shape which makes it easier to remove dirt, but I also like the Fiskars. The Fiskars strength is in the sawtooth edge, the rubber handle and the root removing tip. I search mostly in the woods and the fork tip is invaluable in breaking roots at the bottom of the hole. The Lesche sawtooth edge is almost useless, cause the teeth are almost as smooth as the straight edge.

The Fiskars seems to cut roots better/easier but the Lesche removes the dirt much faster. What do you all think?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you can't beat a Lesche.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used a Lesche, but I wonder how the offset would work when you reef on it. I like the idea of direct transmission of force downward, like a good knife. It goes without saying that a lot of the blade has to be part of the handle.

Having said that, the Fiskars looks lighter, which is an advantage.

As far as sharpening goes, it will always need that periodically, and do it. I sharpen my shovels and that works well.

I'd guess what I'd do is take both out and see which one you use most of the time.

Let us know, and why.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I definitely like the larger guard to the Lesche cause it allows you to place a lot of force into the digger directly on top of the guard. I was concerned with how well fastened the handle was to the blade, but it looks like it is welded well and shouldn't ever break. Almost one piece. You can run your fingers lightly down the Lesche and not get cut/scratched, but the Fishers sawtook will cut you more easily. I guess this is good and bad, cause any digging tool will eventually become blunt anyway.

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not up graded my hand digger past the Garrett edge digger, which needed some fine tuning on the bench grinder. However, I did get the Raven 25, that's made by George Lesche at Predator Tools. If the hand digger is the same quality...and I'm sure it is, you can't go wrong. I did some trolling in Amazon.com lawn and garden section. They have a surprisingly large assortment of diggers at great prices. Do a search for 'sod knives', you'll be quite surprised!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best hand digger I have used so far. Has great durability vs some trowels I have used, also my wrist seems to do better with it. Never go detecting without it now. I do sharpen it occasionally tho. I carry a side out saw for the large roots tho and would only use it for small ones.

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must admit, I just took delivery of a Lesche hand digger yesterday. I've been using their Raven shovel and I love it. No doubt they're pricey. But if your going to drop $1000+ on a detector, quality diggers make the day.

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
The Lesche is a nice digger and i liked the one i had but recently switched to a Wilcox #102.I like the Wilcox for the ability to scoop out dirt from the hole better.The Lesche with having the flat blade is a bit more difficult to do this with,but to each their own.

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a Fiskars yesterday and have not had the chance to use it yet. For what it is worth I'll try to remember to post my humble opinion when I can.

Jack Flynn

Oct 18, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This reminds me of a thread I started a long while back entitled, the "sooner or later you will own a Lesche thread" best hand digger hands down, once you use one you never go back.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend told me the lesche is too much...he got the some plastic scoop he broke about his 3rd hole...so then he buys a fiskars and that lasted a month...so now hes bought 2 diggers and spent almost what the lesche cost and has nothing to show for it ....buy the lesche

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the Fiskar digger. . .

Last year I flew out to visit my daughter in MT and couldn't carry-on the Lesche with my detector due to HS regulations.
After arriving, I picked up a Fiskars digger at the local hardware and after cutting my second plug in a local park, the tip bent
in the hard-pack ground. I was not happy with it.

However, I did like its well-intended design but not it's structural integrity. . . its strictly a soft ground digger.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
The Lesche is #1 because it is very sturdy, but sort of difficult to use as a scoop to ladle out the soil in the hole. How about this tool: Garden Works SSR Comfort Grip Soil Scoop? I don't have one but am thinking about getting it to do the scooping part of hole digging.

M

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my lesche. I broke a half dozen hand spades before buying one. You can't beat their high carbon steel and quality welds. It even survived the drought last summer without a scratch. The ground was literally like concrete.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread