ideal length of a DIY digger?

crusty metal

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ideal 'length' of a DIY digger?

I am going to make a digger from 1/2 of a post hole digger. ( $16 menards-in WI) other half of post hole digger will be a modified shovel ( this idea was done by another poster..sorry..don't recall name)- I've seen 6"-7"-8" on some home made ones. from you folks who use diggers alot..is 8" maybe better than 6"? or go with intermediate 7"? (keep it clean please- not talking %#@ here) I can see longer might be better for bit deeper digging, but longer carrying on belt too. What you all think? I'm on hold until get few ideas on optinum length. P.S. talking on just blade here..not handle. Thanks! -(I know just buy lesche and be done..But I'm well experienced fab/welder and love to build things from steel)

Quickpan Dan

Feb 2, 2013
How does the modification affect the post hole digger, and what are you digging in? Wish you remembered the original post. It "sounds" like a cool tool.

Last edited:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a nice project!

Just out of curiosity, what type of land-use areas (public, private, etc.) would you primarily
be using your finished digger on? The reason I ask is several public areas that I've hunted in the past
have had limitations on digger/shovel length & width.

Anyway, getting back to your original question about blade length, I think 7" would be fine. As for width,
no more than 2" wide (if you're cutting plugs public parks or your neighbor's lawn). I've found it much easier
digging with a narrower blade than a wide one. Your hands will thank at the end of the day.

Also, the existing curve of your post-hole digger's blade might factor into your final decision on how wide your digger
will be. A blade that's too curved or not curved enough can make cutting a 7" round plug more difficult.

Good luck & keep us posted!

OP
OP
C

crusty metal

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi Dan- The post hole digger is not used for hole digging anymore. You take the pivot bolt out and you have 2 separate halves to work with. good heavy and already rounded steel. That is what caught my interest..make 2 tools out of one tool utilizing both halves. I think can find it but I accually think it's on another site and not sure I can post that on here? maybe I can PM it. All the credit goes to original poster. Soil here in southern Wisconsin is basically mix of black dirt /some minimal small rock and deeper clay. Kind of depends where at your digging. Nothing super hard though. P.S. just saw your post Watercolor- thanks on the suggestions. Gene

Last edited:

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I understand what you are attempting. For the hand digger modification, I'd suggest narrowing the blade and cupping it for strength. Maybe the present cup radius of the post hole digger will be too weak (my opinion). Point it just like a garden hand digger; not too sharp but sort of "pointy". Seven inches is OK, and if you make it longer you risk bending. I've bent cheap garden diggers at the handle attaching area, so with your metal working ability, I suggest beefing up that area some.

Handle comfort is another thing. Have not seen a "D" handle yet on a small hand digger but for sure it would give you great pushing and twisting ability.

The other half of your post hole digger might work just fine with the long handle for serious deep holes. Possibly a welded on foot bar would be an improvement.

M

OP
OP
C

crusty metal

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks moomrover..I'll consider the cup radius when I get it cut out..I may need to give it more. The blade I think will be 7" as suggested above. root cutting teeth will be added. I was thinking on maybe a sideways 'V' for handle, but If I use a 'D' handle that might be better?..I will think on that one. weight and size also something I need to look at as I go. Thanks.

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
â—Ź Minelab Manticore â—Ź Minelab CTX-3030 â—Ź Minelab Equinox 800 â—Ź Minelab Goldmaster 1000 â—Ź Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you have a great idea, but some pictures of what you have so far would be a big help in visualizing it. My initial reaction is the weight factor, and bulkiness. I am not condemning it yet :)...I would love to see pictures of the project as you move along! Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread