Garrett Edge Digger 3 week review

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing happened with my Garrett digger (twice in one season) Garrett simply sent me two new ones. I now have three Garretts (which I actually like aside from the 'cushiony' handle coming off) I used Gorilla glue on one (awesome results) one is still new, and the third I am modding with a 'T' handle. In the meantime I did get a Lesche. This will be my main digger this year. Garrett will be my back up.

OP
OP
Juice Diggalow

Juice Diggalow

Apr 24, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab gofind 20, Fisher F2, Garrett underwater pro pointer, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers/ MPX Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its been almost a year and the gorilla glued Lesche is still holding as strong as ever! I've dug a bunch of holes in the last year and its not budged. LifeNRA, the gorilla glue I used was the one that looks clear like super glue. I just followed the directions on the back. It said to add a little bit of water I believe. The GEDs that I have, I sold the brand new one they had sent me, and use the other one whenever I have company with me detecting. But I've also got me a new shovel this year...the Sampson ball handle shovel. :D

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem with the digging tool I received with my detector. The best fix I found was to JB weld a brass door knob to the top of the handle. This was a huge improvement. It gave me more control and a larger area for the palm of my hand while digging. Plus I could turn the grip so it fit my left or right hand when one arm would get tired. I'm at work now but will try to post pics later this evening.

Show us this door knob-ed digger please.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
If you lose your "grip" again, just toss the grip and get some "tennis racket" handle tape and do a few wraps around your handle, it also adds some cushioning.....nge

OP
OP
Juice Diggalow

Juice Diggalow

Apr 24, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab gofind 20, Fisher F2, Garrett underwater pro pointer, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers/ MPX Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its been almost 2 years now and the gorilla glue is still holding strong on the Lesche. I've used it thousands of times and it's not coming off.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this post is ancient but, when your handle comes off again get some Plasti-Dip, clean all old crap off the handle, clean really good with rubbing alcohol, let dry then dip handle in the Plasti-Dip to however thick you want it. Will stay on almost forever, much better cushioning, and can be re-applied as neccessary. Follow the directions on the can!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Juice Diggalow

Juice Diggalow

Apr 24, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a great idea. Thanks

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this post is ancient but, when your handle comes off again get some Plasti-Dip, clean all old crap off the handle, clean really good with rubbing alcohol, let dry then dip handle in the Plasti-Dip to however thick you want it. Will stay on almost forever, much better cushioning, and can be re-applied as neccessary. Follow the directions on the can!!!!!!!

Speaking of the plastic dip and ball end Sampson. The ball end is my favorite, because you don't have the T-handle to get in the way and I dig a lot with one hand while in the fields. I took light sandpaper to my ball end Sampson after the finish wore off and then degreased it really well with alcohol. I then did a triple dip in the plastic dip as far as I could and painted an additional 4 inches of the handle so it has almost a foot of plastic dip. Each dip I let it dry before doing it again. I used if for 4 months and it hasn't wore off. I then sold it to a friend of mine back in December and he is still using it with the plastic dip still intact.

pkirill

Jul 22, 2013
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, MI6 pinpointer, Lesche 40" ground shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Garrett grip came off too and the steel pipe handle cut the top off of it. Garrett replaced the grip quickly and without any hassle, as expected. I was going to glue it, but the top tore again before I got the chance. I think I'm going to look at bike and tool grips and replace with something harder...

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705 and CTX 3030. Garrett Pro Pointer and Garrett AT pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Lesche grip came off and I used the expanding Gorilla expanding glue. Worked great and hasn't moved since. For me I believe the Lesche is the best digger out there.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't even budge the Viking handle. It's a perfect fit for my big hands, and the raised area's allow for a firm grip that doesn't allow turning in your hand. Plus it has a slight flange before the end of the hilt. Lesche took second place when I got this dirt monster.

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Garrett grip came off too and the steel pipe handle cut the top off of it. Garrett replaced the grip quickly and without any hassle, as expected. I was going to glue it, but the top tore again before I got the chance. I think I'm going to look at bike and tool grips and replace with something harder...

I have used bike grips and they get cut too. I think the best thing to do is fill the void in the pipe with something that will last before replacing the grip. Probably something that extends barely past the flat end of the pipe and is rounded a bit. Maybe find a rubber grommet that fits snugly and then use the grip, or as someone said, use expanding foam first to fill the entire void before the grip.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our club got a "Garrett Edge Digger Handle Repair" part, which is a hard plastic plug, produced and promoted by TKOMOTO.
Since I've lost the letter that this promotional came with, can't give you anymore on that, sorry - but, I believe they were selling
this item for ten or so dollars.
I can't use it, and no one in our club has a Garrett Edge Digger, so if anyone wants this one - email me, and we'll work something out!

pcc

Nov 6, 2015
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
Ace 350
T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an old motocross guy and here's what we did to keep our grips on (and trust me you don't want a grip to come off when your riding a motocross track) First clean the handle really good then scuff it some with sand paper. Then spray the inside of the grip with hair spray this will melt the inside of the grip some and cause it to actually bond with the metal of the handle when the hair spray dries. When that's done safety wire the grip at the bottom, middle and end. If you're having a problem with the end of the handle tearing through the grip simply place a coin in the end of the grip before putting it on the handle. If you really want to get serious use gas instead of hair spray, you'll have to cut the grip off if you ever want to replace it.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have had the Leche digger for about 5 years now, and the only thing tearing up on it is the sheath that it came in. Very durable digger. The only flaw though is teeth on one edge. It would cut thru drier ground more easily I think if it had teeth on both sides. That digger phantasm posted looks sweet.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sold my Gator digger to a buddy of mine, after I got the Edge Digger in a package deal... BIG mistake. The Gator was a solid tool and I took it for granted... the Edge Digger was a flimsy, soft toy. It warped so much, that it wouldnt fit into the sheath. The cure for a crap digging tool? its called a Lesche.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this freebie about a year ago when I bought my Garrett PP.... Kellyco Sawtooth Gator Digger- Kellyco

Great tool for free...not much to complain about. Handle came off so I emailed KellyCo for a replacement grip...if possible. Told them no big deal...free digger and all. But if they had a grip...I'd sure take one off their hands.

Well they sent this to me for free instead.... Kellyco Razor Edge Gator Digger with Sheath- Kellyco Pretty damn awesome of them.

I actually prefer the first one more...and have decided to fix it myself so the handle stays on. Not really a fan of the 90 degree off-set on the Razor/Garrett/Lesche....prefer the handle to be on a straight line with the blade.

Have the Fiskars garden knife as well...but have never truly tested it....also plan on a Hori-Hori knife soon to see how that goes.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think all the diggers can be debated in different ways. Pretty much to get the most out of them they need to be sharpened, but then they have the tendency to wear down with use anyway, so it is a trade off. I use the Sampson shovel pretty much all I can. When carrying and using a shovel is out of the question--I need something that will not give and do a good job of cutting. When you are down on your knees and using arm strength mostly, you need something that will do the job with as little effort as possible. I have purchased and used all the major brands including the cheap ones. IMO, for the money the Fiskars is a good one and Wilcox makes great diggers that are one piece (nothing to break) and you can purchase them well under $20. If your willing to spend more, I would opt for the Lesche (although, the metal is hard and I have broken and bent 2 and the offset CAN cause you to bend it). I am now using the Viking which is by far the most aggressive (thus easiest to cut a plug) and solid, although it is a little expensive.

I used to have a Rapter digger by Predator tools. In theory it looks like it will do the job, but if you try and us it in dry ground it will kill your energy and hands. I have friends that own them and they regretted spending the money on them. Great tools only if you detect in soft ground, and a great tool if you want to appear to be using a trowel instead of a dagger.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread