Garrett Edge Digger 3 week review

Juice Diggalow

Apr 24, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab gofind 20, Fisher F2, Garrett underwater pro pointer, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers/ MPX Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive had the Garrett Edge Digger (GED) for 3 weeks now and was very pleased with it at first. It cut through the ground very easily compared to some of the other diggers that I have used. Now, let me say that I have never had a Lesche but compared to others I have used, it cut through very nicely. When I first got it, I thought that the serations needed to be a little sharper but it hasnt seemed to be that big of a problem. Only when you are trying to cut through thicker roots. It doesnt seem to go through gravel very well but I havent had a digger that seemed to do that anyway. I havent had a problem of bending it out of shape or anything of that sort. The one really notable problem that I have had with it so far is in the handle. The handle is pretty soft and cushiony (I dontknow if thats a word) and I liked that to begin with. But now, due to that softness, the bottom 1/2"-3/4" of the handle, looks like its going to come off. Kind of like an old bicycle's handlebar grips, when they are worn out and get grass and dirt in the hole of the handlebar grip. That is happening right now to the handle of my GED. I'll post pictures of it, if anybody is interested. Im going to call garrett and see if those diggers have a warranty so I can get a replacement. That is my review as of right now, 3 weeks of use (maybe around 300 digs). Lastly, I have placed an order for a lesche due to the great reviews on that digger. So, in a few weeks, I'll be able to make a comparison between the two. Thanks for listening and I hope you guys have a great dirt fishin expedition!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Outstanding review Juice Diggalow - please let us know what Garrett says...

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just yesterday, my handle on my Garrett Edge Digger came off. I was rinsing the tool in water, and the handle stayed in my hand, but the tool itself slipped out. I emailed Garrett last night about this issue. After inspecting the tool, there is very little glue holding the handle onto the metal shaft. I will be using some Gorilla Glue and a clamp next to secure this handle. Hopefully this will solve the problem. Ill post the results back here.

Also, have you seen how short the Velcro straps are securing the tool in the sheath?

OP
OP
Juice Diggalow

Juice Diggalow

Apr 24, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab gofind 20, Fisher F2, Garrett underwater pro pointer, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers/ MPX Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did Garrett say back to you after you emailed them?

The velcro straps dont really bother me. I only use it when im done digging for the day. They usually just get in my way all day while pulling the shovel in and out. I have now just velcroed them together as tight as I can get them, so I can slip my shovel in and out as needed without having to unstrap the velcro every time. Basically, the handle will sit in front of the velcro straps when its in the sheath.

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it will take a few days for them to get back to me. Since it was Saturday night when I emailed them. Hopefully tomorrow I might hear something.

DigDug361

Jan 14, 2013
I had the same problem with the digging tool I received with my detector. The best fix I found was to JB weld a brass door knob to the top of the handle. This was a huge improvement. It gave me more control and a larger area for the palm of my hand while digging. Plus I could turn the grip so it fit my left or right hand when one arm would get tired. I'm at work now but will try to post pics later this evening.

Rich_1833

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2013
Midwest (St. Louis Area)
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Razor Edge Gator Digger when I bought my pinpointer. The first time I took it out I was less then impressed with it. It doesn't dig as good as my cheap fiskars. The finish started coming off already and the grip came loose (off). After I got home I took a closer look at it and I seen there isn't much of a point and whats there is off-center. The handle is off-center also.

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That metal looks cheap and if you sharpen to much you'll just dull the blade real quick when you start digging
I keep a file in my car for my Lesche.. the Lesche is the best out there bar non....
and they are cheap what are you doing with that garrett?

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got an email today. Apparently I sent my email to sales, duh. They forwarded to marketing??? Why would you send to marketing??? Any who. I did not use the Gorilla glue, didn't care for the idea of glue that expands. So I got some marine grade adhesive. Pretty sure after this sets up or cures, this handle is not coming off.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And!..............................?

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 3M Marine Grade Adhesive and Sealant. The directions say it will take up to 7 days for it to cure fully. As of today, that handle is going no where! I put four streaks down the metal shaft and a blob at the end. As I was putting the handle back on I made two full turns down to the end. Making sure the position was back in the same state when I bought it. I will not use it until the 7 days have past. Then Ill clean up the bottom of the handle with a razor blade. This stuff is waterproof and cures solid.

I never received another email from Garrett. It wont be worth the money to send back and wait for another tool. I chose to just fix it myself with much better adhesive. The 3M Marine Grade Adhesive can be bought from Home Depot or Lowe's. For about $6.50, much less than shipping, and probably the same wait time for another tool to be mailed back.

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the same deal. Unlike you I think it digs and cuts well but this is the only digger I've owned so I can't compare. My handle came off after about 100 digs when I was washing it. Gorilla glued it on and it stayed on until the end wore through and it was giving my hand a hard time so I cut the last 2 inches off, put a few turns of duct tape on and fitted a large rubber chair leg end on it. What a difference that made. I have big hands and that baby made this digger pretty sweet. Ugly but sweet :)

I got the Razor Edge Gator Digger when I bought my pinpointer. The first time I took it out I was less then impressed with it. It doesn't dig as good as my cheap fiskars. The finish started coming off already and the grip came loose (off). After I got home I took a closer look at it and I seen there isn't much of a point and whats there is off-center. The handle is off-center also.

OP
OP
Juice Diggalow

Juice Diggalow

Apr 24, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also emailed Garrett and told them what the problem was with (GED) along with pictures. I emailed them on 5/15/13 and they replied back probably an hour or 2 later, asking for my address. Today, is 5/20/13 and I recieved a brand new (GED). Garrett has done a great job of replacing their product but, am I just getting another digger thats going to fall apart? Either way, thanks Garrett for the replacement digger!

Since my digger has fallen apart, I have gotten me a Lesche digger and I think its a pretty good digger. Ive probably already dug over 150 holes with it. It definately is heavy duty and it doesnt feel as if it is going to fall apart anytime soon. The handle is alot harder than the (GED) and I dont see it falling apart like the Garrett Edge Digger. But, I do like the (GED) pretty good. I think the GED shovels out dirt from the hole better than the Lesche. I think the Lesche makes a nicer plug cut due to it being less curved than the GED but thats also the reason why it doesnt shovel dirt out of the hole as good.

If Garrett can make a better handle that wouldnt fall apart, I think they could have something really going for them. I might start using both of them together, one to cut the plug, the other to dig out the dirt in the hole.

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny. After I read your post Juice, I sent another email to Garrett because I was a little ticked that they never gave me the same service as you. Now they want my address to do the same! Apparently, there must be a problem that they are now aware of. There has to be a better way of keeping that handle on. I know the glue I used will be 100 times better! So I guess Ill have a back up, with a bad handle to re-glue all over again! The first digger had one little strip of glue inside. Digging less than 20-30 holes and it fell off, no wonder!

Last edited:

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Garrett, I received my other digger today. Cant wait for it to fall apart so I can re-glue it again! LOL! In all serious, its a great digging tool, they just need to figure out a way to secure the handle better.

OP
OP
Juice Diggalow

Juice Diggalow

Apr 24, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have had my lesche digger for around 10 days and the handle slid right off the other day. Inside that sleeve, I was able to see that the lesche is solid in there. It's not hollow like the ged. But, I was a little disappointed about the grip sliding right off. I did put some gorilla glue on it and now I don't believe the grip will slide off again! I like this lesche pretty good but I do think the ged is a little bit better cleaning the excess dirt out of a hole, due to it having a little more of a curve in the shovel. Anyway, that's my update. Thanks for listening!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have had my lesche digger for around 10 days and the handle slid right off the other day. Inside that sleeve, I was able to see that the lesche is solid in there. It's not hollow like the ged. But, I was a little disappointed about the grip sliding right off. I did put some gorilla glue on it and now I don't believe the grip will slide off again! I like this lesche pretty good but I do think the ged is a little bit better cleaning the excess dirt out of a hole, due to it having a little more of a curve in the shovel. Anyway, that's my update. Thanks for listening!

I think ur right on that I have both to I think the lesche is alot more smooth to cut the plug & definetly the roots but the ged does clean out a hole faster either way I like & use them both alot

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got the Garrett,and the Razor Gator. The "Grips" not handles came off both with use. I used Gorilla Glue,and it's a thing of the past now! They will have to be cut off the handle if they ever need replaced. The lesche,is a great plug cutter,but that's about it! The Garrett cuts plugs well,and also removes the dirt inside the hole well! This tool looks like it does it all well. I watched a video on you tube,and the guy was using it. It is impressive in the video anyway. Here's the video here's the digger Product Details

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those that used gorilla glue, did you use the expanding type? Also did you clamp it like the glue manufacture recommends? I was planning on using gorilla glue but the thought of it expanding changed my mind. So far dug about 40-50 holes out now with the marine grade adhesive, the grip hasn't budged. Just curious because I was going to use this glue at first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread