The Coin Popper!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After hunting our local park,and seeing people giving me "the look",I decided to use a screw driver to "Pop" out the shallow coins. Let me say that 1. the screw driver doesn't work well,and 2. it could just be me!:laughing7: I decided to make something that would get under the coin,and flip it out (even with me using it!) Looked around the shop and found some 1/2 inch angle iron,and some 1/4 inch rebar. I took a small piece of the angle iron and cut a v tip into it,then ground the edges down,and under cut the tip on the bottom to give it a "torcar" (love those terms) tip like a hunting broadhead. Then cut a tang on the back of the angle iron,and welded a piece of 1/4 inch rebar to it. Then I made a short T handle out of another piece of rebar. After getting it the way I wanted it,I used the tourch to heat the tip up cheery red,then dipped it into some motor oil,to temper it. It is sharp,so I had to come up with a sheath for it. I used some pvc pipe laying around the shop,a tie wrap,and a Velcro cable tie to finnish it. It just hooks onto your belt,or pants belt loop and keeps the tool inside,and away from you. I took it out for a test run and it works sweet!:thumbsup: I can feel the coin on the tip,back it up,and move it under the coin,and lift it right up out of the ground. It's small,and no one even noticed what I was doing. Now I need to paint it flat black,and I'm ready to go!:thumbsup:And Maybe a little camo duct tape on the sheath!
0048_zps1f2b16d1.jpg
00315_zpsdb3fe80c.jpg
0025_zps9e2e9610.jpg
0016_zps31dce688.jpg

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude thats some nice work let us know how it works. If it works as good as it looks ur gonna get some people wanting 1 for themselves. I gotta say I like when someone sees a problem uses What they have & comes up with a great invention to solve the problem, its just how we would have done it back then

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!
Now that is awesome RK! I love that idea! I know what you mean about (The Look!)
Stinks doesn't it? But yeh I can see that (Coin Popper) haha working just fine!
Thanks buddy!

Pete

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very creative ,best of luck ..Davers

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea...but that tool looks just a likely to draw the "look" ;) do people really stare when your hunting? I would think it would be because they are curious about metal detecting more than the digger you're using...maybe I just misunderstood your post.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow, hope the police don't see you carrying that in public

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah,I knocked off a liquor store with it ,right after I finnished it! LOL! The police are real lax here (small town). Just a few snobs,not wanting anyone digging in "Their" Park!

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea...but that tool looks just a likely to draw the "look" ;) do people really stare when your hunting? I would think it would be because they are curious about metal detecting more than the digger you're using...maybe I just misunderstood your post.
It's small,and only 6 inches long from the tip to the top of the T handle. At a distance you would have to look real hard to make it out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions