Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any of u guys use life jackets in rough water at the beach? I am on Santa Rosa island and almost drowned today. I have my detector attached with brass swivel clip on right and have sand scoop in left hand and I do ok until a big wave passes. I wonder if anyone uses a fishing life vest for this kind of water work

diggin-a-hole

Aug 13, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber -
Garrett Ace 350 -
MP3 Pro ( don't buy one ; mine was free) -
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about one of the inflatable type vests. It would not be bulky on you as much as a regular style life jacket and would be there in case you should need it.

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
Do the fishing vest work as a life vest as well? Not sure and I do not know where to even start looking for something like that on Santa Rosa beach Fl

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
That sounds good. Problem is that I am on Santa Rosa Island and not sure what store has them

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, there is an REI store in Destin. They would have both life jackets and inflatable PFDs. The inflatable are nice because you only use them (inflate) when you need them.

I've been to the panhandle detecting many times, and was amazed at how the sand drops off, it's a lot different than our part of the gulf coast.

Have fun,

Wayne at MDS

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
image-4288617391.jpg

Thank u! I was able to find a type III PFD at Walmart super center. They needed the car back at the beach house. Yea, wow, the sand drops off fast here. We have had a lot of storms here over the last few days so yesterday was the 1st day brave enough to enter the water. The current is really strong here. Now I will start working the trenches in between sand bar and beach

Last edited:

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering how you guys avoid rip currents or whatever they are called when MDing in the ocean? When i visited Australia i went to Bells Beach and ended up getting into one, i was only in waist deep water and i could not fight it, ended up being dragged about a 1/4 mile out while trying to swim sideways across it to get out. This probably happened since i am a noob to the ocean and grew up around inland lakes, but still not a comfortable feeling without a life vest on to boot. Do you guys tie off to the beach, deal with it if it occurs or been doing it long enough that you can just see the currents depending on what the waves/surface look like?

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
I can spot a rip current. You can see lots of pics online of how to spot them. Also, I don't go in the water if 4ft waves are crashing into the shore. It is just to dangerous. Since we got here on Santa Rosa island on Saturday, we have had some bad offshore storms moving onto land. I pay attention to the flags and look at weather radar. Even with all that. A rip current can form at any moment. I watch for breaks in the waves and can see the water moving away from shore really fast. It is always good to have a buddy system cause 2 pair of eyes are better than one and sometimes I might make a decision to go in the water and my friend might say - hey, looks a little rough out there. U know, keep each other in check and watch out for each other. Another thing is I don't wear waders in the ocean. I wear scuba shorts/pants, compression shirt, scuba socks and boots and gloves. This takes stress off of having to worry about jelly fish and compression scuba shirt top helps with mobility in the water. Now I added the fishing life vest to the equation , it really helps in rough water. Was able to float right over the waves today and still have sand scoop in left hand & detector in right

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread