Is it just me or does the 18" Sampson suck

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This thing is TINY more or less of a trowel. i wouldn't recommended it unless your digging in soft soil and even then its hard to get a grip on it.. im going back to the original shovel -.-

not sure if the other sizes are better....maybe. but not willing to try them out. today the soil was rough and it barely broke through anything. highly disappointed.:icon_scratch:

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's small size does make it difficult to put your entire body weight into (like you would a larger shovel), but it is a good tool. In really hard soil it can be tough. I think of it as a step-up from the handheld diggers, but not quite a full shovel. The portability is a plus also. I can't speak for others, but I am at a point where I don't want anymore gear that I have to carry...I try to be very selective about which gear I take along.

Something like the Garrett pick digger does well in hard soil:

Garrett PIck.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I always recommend the 31" T handle model. Its a great tool for difficult ground and the T gives you more leverage. Most people always recommend the 18" over my advice. You may as well use the lesche digger. I will be glad to add extension to it if you'll pay shipping. I've got plenty of material and a welder in back yard. My zipcode is 31601 if you need to figure shipping cost.

Attachments

• image-3134177650.jpg
    image-3134177650.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
im just going to use it now and then but mostly use a regular shovel idc about carrying it around. thanks though for the offer good to know.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about all that I have a 18" samson & I use it so much I got the bomb sheath & made it my primary digger. I'm 6'2" & I step on it easily, its a lot easier to carry around u can step on it like I do,& it gives u an amazing amount of leverage without having to stand back up to use it. Have u tried to sharpen it at all?

OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I havent used it enough yet to need to sharpen it i just cant get enough leverage maybe too tall - it is a quality built tool ill give it that

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well like they say ya know what works for 1, may not for another. As of sharpening it doesn't have to be dull to sharpen it I know it comes decently sharp already but the sharper u make it easier its gonna penetrate the soil,roots etc

OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gotchya. your right 'black...spider?' something sandpaper i heard works good for it. it works fine in yards... so its my go to for that

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's why I always recommend the 31" T handle model. Its a great tool for difficult ground and the T gives you more leverage. Most people always recommend the 18" over my advice. You may as well use the lesche digger. I will be glad to add extension to it if you'll pay shipping. I've got plenty of material and a welder in back yard. My zipcode is 31601 if you any to figure shipping cost.

I am glad that I read your opinion of the 18" Sampson. I was debating about buying one, but felt that it would only be an additional tool that my 31" digger and Lesche could already do. Saved me some money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions