Rain covers

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys,
I just have one quick question. Do rain covers allow you safely detect in the rain with a non-waterproof detector, or are they simply intended to be used as a protective measure? Thinking about the F70 or AT Pro for my next detector and was curious if I could get the "weatherproof" factor of the AT Pro on the F70 by adding a rain cover.
Thanks in advance,
C4C

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody?

Tim-MXT

Mar 9, 2014
Beaverton/Hillsboro Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's V3I, White's TRX Pinpointer, Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered some covers for my MXT from metaldetectorcover.com. They are supposed to be waterproof. For our annoying rain here in Oregon, I figure its better for the electronics then leaving it to chance. I haven't received them yet but will post when I do.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There meant to be protective against the elements, but I still think theres always still a chance it might get ruined, I use covers for everyone of the machines I use mainly for protection against trees,mud,mist,a bump from a shovel,the newest one I got is for my f75ltd they are awesome made out of neoprene very protected for ur machine. So I think all in all if u are any bit nervous about rain detecting in it, go for an Atpro or a ctx3030 that way ur coverd

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There meant to be protective against the elements, but I still think theres always still a chance it might get ruined, I use covers for everyone of the machines I use mainly for protection against trees,mud,mist,a bump from a shovel,the newest one I got is for my f75ltd they are awesome made out of neoprene very protected for ur machine. So I think all in all if u are any bit nervous about rain detecting in it, go for an Atpro or a ctx3030 that way ur coverd

Thanks Christo, that's what I originally thought, but It's good to hear someone say it.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the ATPro & At Gold are both waterproof,since you can take them underwater!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The covers that I have seen, are not water proof... more like water resistant. I would not trust a cover to protect an expensive piece of electronics. I have an AT Pro, so I might be biased. Good luck.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Covers are for rain protection, but mostly scratches. I almost always use one, and if you plan to sell your detector later they are essential. I have not been using a cover for my CTX, because every cover has not allowed me to see the readout. A lot of times covers attract dirt and they make it hard to read an LCD. I had a cover for my AT Pro and it allowed me to sell it later scratch free and it also worked well because the AT Pro has a mostly analog screen.

mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got some covers for my v3i made by a company called "Thesarus?" They work pretty well, I wanted it to mainly keep my dirty fingers from hittin the menu buttons from time to time. Also put Invisishield screen protectors on both the v3i and MXT...can't go wrong with them.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got some covers for my v3i made by a company called "Thesarus?" They work pretty well, I wanted it to mainly keep my dirty fingers from hittin the menu buttons from time to time. Also put Invisishield screen protectors on both the v3i and MXT...can't go wrong with them.

Oh cool, thanks :)

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I carry those elastic bowl covers in my pocket, if the weather calls for rain. Just slip one over the control box and hunt away! They come in different sizes and colors.....nge

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walmart bag works pretty good keep a few in my pack. But I use covers since I dont own a AT Pro. I would still buy covers for the atp if I owned one lol.

My detector is a investnent. The cover wont make it waterproof but will help with the occasional sprinkle.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a new qt Baggie for light rain or until I can get back to the car trunk and fetch the Tiger Shark...

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
The one quart "ZipLoc's" worked just fine for Fisher X series detectors. Just cut slot for handle, poke small hole for headphones.....nge

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use clear veggi bags from grocery store, which covers nearly all my machines' important parts, and held on with a rubber band around the bottom.
Not damage-proof, but water-resistant..., for sprinkles. Dry out the machine afterwards, by removing the battery and coil plug. If I lived in the Pacific NW again, I'd get a real water-proof machine..., and really Go For It!!! Happy Hunting and Good Luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread