Make a light panel for metal detector?

mrbensteele

Greenie
May 8, 2013
Shelby Twp
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle 2 SL90, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200, Bounty Hunter Pioneer Prospector, Treasure Hunter All-Vision Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the title says it well enough but if not I will explain. For those who have machines with no back light on their display or similar lamp built in. I want to design and build or alternatively buy one if already available, a panel that fits over the face panel of any detector, for example Bounty Hunter 2200, one of mine.
Built into this panel would be flat LED's defused by translucent plastic so it doesnt flood the area and blind the user.

Anyone have a similar idea, or made such a thing, if so please upload some pics.

Thanks

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how handy you are building a simple circuit board, mounting it in a small project box large enough to accommodate the battery(s) you use and the circuit board. Add to that a variable potentiometer mounted in the project box so you can adjust the light output of the led's and shielding the led's so they don't shine in your eyes. Mount the box onto a flat plate long enough to hang over the top edge of the detector screen and mount the led's to that edge. I'd use Velcro to attach the whole thing to the top of the detector box so you can remove it at will.

I can picture it pretty well. If I had my bench set up I'd probably build one for ya to see. Whole thing will probably cost about 30 bucks. As to a prefab you can just mount and go:
*note to Moderators this is not an AD or a Promotion, just a little digging and anything can be adapted*
Clip On LED Book Light | Trade Show Giveaways | 0.99 Ea.

Energizer TrimFlex LED Reading Light EVEFNL2BU1CS: Decor : Walmart.com

Point being ya don't have to re-invent the wheel :) Dig around there are a lot of things that can be adapted.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the velcro strap around the control box with a book light clipped to the strap it works fine but I can imagine a flat screen light over the original screen also.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can imagine it to however most backlights on lcd displays are mounted to the back of the display and shine thru the display. One way to do it if you don't mind opening up the box and installing the extra bits is to remove the display backing... usually a bit of tape... installing an opaque bit of tape and setting the light source up behind that. One would have to rig an external switch to turn it off and this could also be a switch type potentiometer to control brightness. All depends on how far into it ya wanna go.

OP
OP
M

mrbensteele

Greenie
May 8, 2013
Shelby Twp
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle 2 SL90, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200, Bounty Hunter Pioneer Prospector, Treasure Hunter All-Vision Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far Iv built the housing and light cable, but the panel is a tricky deal, first one was made from a PDA screen panel but was too brittle. I wanted to do an internal back light but my BH Discovery 2200 has a TFT display which has a solid black black on the display. ONce I figure it out Ill upload both my lights, already made another kind for my Whites Eagle 2SL, much different than the one im working on.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a book light held in place with lg rubber bands, but need more light. I now have one of the adjustable LED headlamps on a wide elastic band I wear on the right wrist angled and aimed at my screen, it works ok.
I have been trying for years to figure out a light setup of some kind for my M6 but haven't found the perfect solution yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread