About to get back into the hobby

Jeepguy61

Greenie
May 5, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to metal detect with my dad when I was a kid and I'm planning on ordering a new detector in a week or so. Any advice or ideas on a good starting detector. I have used them before but its been at least 10 years. Money is short these days I am looking to spend around 300 or so just to start getting back into this. I have heard good things about the garret ace 250 is it a good choice or are there better ones in my price range. Thanks for helping out.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen Garrett 350 for less then $300, and I wouldn't get anything less then that. Fisher F2s are a good start as well as a Tesoro Silver Umax. Factor in the costs of a good hand digger and pinpointer also.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Eurotek Pro with 8" concentric coil is an awesome machine for $219! The package with 11" DD is $299. It has really good audio sound (not doorbell tones like Ace series), adjustable iron audio, and very fast recovery speed. The best machine made in the $300 range IMO.

OP
OP
Jeepguy61

Jeepguy61

Greenie
May 5, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input ill compare those models and let you know what I choose. Also what is your opinion on the best place to order from ive heard kellyco is really good

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a trip out to Gettysburg to Gettysburg Electronics and have a nice long talk with Don. You can try out all the detectors in your price range and make a decision based on how the machine feels and the expert advice provided by someone who has been in the business for years. I did not do this personally, make my purchase blind before I found out about this store. I like what I bought, I think it is a really good machine for the money, but I would like to have seen everything in my price range and laid hands on them!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keith at Fort Bedford has been really good to me and very knowledgable about the hobby in general. I don't feel the same way about Kellyco!

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keith at Fort Bedford has been really good to me and very knowledgable about the hobby in general. Kellyco is the last place I'll ever deal with no matter what the costs!

+1 Keith has always been more then fair with me aswell good guy to talk to & will not rip ya off

OP
OP
Jeepguy61

Jeepguy61

Greenie
May 5, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to look into the dealers suggested asap. But from research I think ive narrowed it down to the Fisher f2 or eurotek pro. Any opinions on 1 vs the other. Thanks a lot ppl I don't wanna drop the money for a subpar detector. I know I'm not getting a great one but I want something good enough to get me hooked again

OP
OP
Jeepguy61

Jeepguy61

Greenie
May 5, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To add onto that I will be doing a lot of detecting in venango county pa which has a lot of history including Washington's trail and some fort locations I know a lot of ppl with acres and acres of property to hunt

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest a Tesoro Compadre for $160 and a Garrett pro pointer (pin pointer) for $130...locating the treasure in the ground is second only to locating it with your detector...there is quite a following of a Compadre owners here on TN...Both are quality tools, The Tesoro has a lifetime guaranty and you could go through a garbage can full of cheap pin pointers until You landed on a good one... The pro pointer is very sensitive, vibrating up to three inches from targets! Use an old kitchen knife, a screw driver and your wife's garden trowel and you will be in business!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeepguy61

Jeepguy61

Greenie
May 5, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ill look into it for sure we have a property in venango county, also the main part of the whiskey rebellion was right in my backyard I'm less than a mile away from the Neville house that was featured on "diggers" I'm pumped to start detecting again

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites TRX pinpointer is the one to buy if you have none! Garrett Pro Pointer is the same price and TRX has better features, depth and quality.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add onto that I will be doing a lot of detecting in venango county pa which has a lot of history including Washington's trail and some fort locations I know a lot of ppl with acres and acres of property to hunt

If that's the case I would have to step it up to mid-range machines since you are pretty sure you like digging in the dirt! Maybe X-Terra 505 or ATPro (waterproof to 10')

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can help you with any of the suggested machines - each of those suggestions are good. Of the $300 and under machines you are inquiring about, I'd suggest the Eurotek Pro with the 11" DD coil. Good ground coverage, and much faster recovery speed than the other two... plus the adjustable iron audio.

The mid-level machines Fletch is mentioning have ground balance, which will help with depth and stability. Most of these are a bit higher than your price range but there will be an increase in performance.

FWIW, we are located at the Eastern edge of the Whiskey Rebellion area, near the town where President Washington commanded the troops while acting as commander in chief. There is a camp nearby that we have pounded to the point of almost no signals remaining! lol

And I want to thank Fletch and Christo for the kind words, you both are top notch contributors to Tnet!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites TRX pinpointer is the one to buy if you have none! Garrett Pro Pointer is the same price and TRX has better features, depth and quality.
I have not used Trx (Kellyco $150) but pro pointer is good (Kellyco $127) and he only has $300 !
The whites trx is very new and not in use very long... It may prove to be durable as well... Many pointers fail the durability test and having been burned twice, before landing on the pro pointer, I will have to wait and see...

Last edited:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok pro pointer just went haywire! Ordered TRX!

OP
OP
Jeepguy61

Jeepguy61

Greenie
May 5, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to update I ended up ordering the Fisher F2 and garret pro pointer from amazon. Went a little over budget but that happens sometimes. Wish I had the time to make a trip and go to 1 of the retailers, hopefully I'm able to when I'm ready to upgrade

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new machine! The F2 is a good machine and a great coin shooter! Good luck and enjoy your hunting endeavors!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting has now claimed another, addictive hobby be prepared lol, Congrates we all know ull enjoy

OP
OP
Jeepguy61

Jeepguy61

Greenie
May 5, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detector arrived a couple hours ago. Getting ready to go out this evening for my 1st hunt in quite some time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread