Pin pointer Question. Need help!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THere are numerous threads about the current leader in the field, the whites TRX. Most of the folks with the Garrett that have bought the TRX are not using the Garrett anymore. No need to buy a TRX if you Garrett is working correctly but if you have been burnt once, move up to the TRX.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the TRX and the Garrett and prefer the Garrett pro pointer!
It is more robust and feels better in the hand!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those robust Garretts also and it keeps breaking down. My Minelab is still going strong and so is my TRX.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
So I have gone through 1 Garret pointer in a year. I am hearing several issues about them and wondering if anyone has compared the Minelab to the Garret? Any info would be great.....thanks!

IMPO...the Minelab for the retail price ain't even a worthy idea compared to the Garretts. As far as hearing issues about the GPP, well,,,maybe the newer ones are failing. All I know is that I have 2 from back in 2010 and both perform great when I use either.

I would be far more prone to get me the TRX and keep the Garretts as the backup, than ever go to the Minelab. jm2

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm on my second Pro-Pointer now - wore the first one out in five years!
I believe you can't improve on it! I used the pinpointer several hunts a week, all year long.
Hundreds, thousands of on and off cycles - I believe they are tough units!

OP
OP
R.Danneskjold

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the responses. Anyone tried the PistolProbe from detector pro?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fella I met last week had one in his car and showed it to me.. might as well be carrying a shotgun.. thing is huge and looks rather awkward to use and much like a gun.. "Hey Mom this guys got a gun at the park!". He uses the TRX now..

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I found with the Garrett is make sure you have almost new batteries with them. I have a battery tester that I use at home and I started to cycle rechargeable 9 volt batteries every time I go on a hunt. I never use the 9 volt for more than 1-2 hunts max. I also bought some sheet rubber to put inside the tail cap of my Garrett.

In the past year, I've had three Propointers and every one has acted up. I had one completely quit working audibly, but I was able to send it back to Garrett at only the costs for shipping to have it repaired. I had 1 Profind for a short while with no issues and now I am mostly using the TRX. I still prefer the Garrett, probably because I am more used to it.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on my second Garrett PP in less than a year. Yes I use it alot but I always clean it thoroughly and never get it wet. I don't scrape with it or abuse it outside of it's intended use. When it works right I love it but when it acts up I curse it. Looking at a TRX now.

-Taz-

Mar 28, 2013
Island on the west coast
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old thread, BUT...TRX above and beyond, it isn´t even worth comparing it to others, it will just emberass the other, and most definatly not worth discussing it with people that haven´t tried it. Yes it has a more plastic feeling to it, but it is done so to make it easier to change parts. The important thing it does the work, and it does it FAR better then any other pin pointer out there.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread, Yes it has a more plastic feeling to it, but it is done so to make it easier to change parts.
Not to mention you can drop it on concrete many times with no damage.. drop in the the pond or creek.. no damage.. Can you do that with the composition?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to mention you can drop it on concrete many times with no damage.. drop in the the pond or creek.. no damage.. Can you do that with the composition?

I am not going to do a drop test on any of my pinpointers, so I am not sure. It isn't waterproof though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread