Interested in detecting

40ton

May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Predator tools. The model 85 is a solid digger that will last you a long time. Also any of their shovels are a good choice.
As for headphones I use a 20 dollar pair of Sony's. They sound much better the the wireless ones that came with my detector and cheep enough I don't care if they get beat up.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read around here. That question gets asked often enough you should be able to read about a dozen recent threads on it. Figure out your budget and jump on in. Welcome to the forum.

davidmunz

Greenie
Jul 10, 2014
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/ White's TRX & Tesoro Sand Shark w/ RTG SS Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A digging tool (look at brands like Lesche, Hori Hori, etc) or like mentioned above the maker Predator Tools- they are amazing but a bit pricey, a pin pointer (necessity) such as Garrett Pro Pointer or a White's TRX, a bag or pouch where you can store your finds/trash that you pick up, and some gloves! Everything else is pretty much personal preference.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wanna start detecting, but I dont know what I need. What tools do I need and are there any brands/models you recommend?

I like to answer question such as yours, by saying that (any) machine you choose to get, use-it-a-LOT!
Learn what it can do and what it can't.
Practice low impact digging, carry all trash out and cover your holes.
And, always ask permission to hunt.
Plastic trowel is a good item, minimizes damage to target, if you happen to come in contact with it.
You'll add or subtract from what people advise to use and do, but please promote the hobby! Enjoy!
GL and HH

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to metal detecting. Most any entry level detector from a well known company will work for you. You can always move up to a better more expensive and complex detector in a few years. I believe simple is better when first starting out. A simple digger until you can afford a quality Lesche digger and a Garrett pro pointer will last you for years of trouble free detecting. Good luck because along with knowing your machine and location will bring you good finds.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread is 8 months old with the OP having 1 post. Guess he/she didn't get into it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread