Easy Coin and Relic Cleaning

Can U Dig It

Feb 21, 2013
Mays Landing, N.J.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me preface this post by saying I have read tons on coin cleaning. I know there are many methods folks have come up with. I also know never clean valuable coins. Some people enjoy cleaning coins and go through a many step process and home remedies. God bless them and enjoy. With that said, I have tried many of them and don't have the patients for all that any many don't work anyway.
Does anyone feel like I do and found a quick easy method? I just want to dump the coins or artifacts into something and come back later and maybe have to rinse them off. Are there any electrolysis machines or other similar gadgets on the market? Has anyone used tumblers made to clean ammunition casings? I'm willing to spend the money if there is something out there to make it simple and easy.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Bill

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
Let me preface this post by saying I have read tons on coin cleaning. I know there are many methods folks have come up with. I also know never clean valuable coins. Some people enjoy cleaning coins and go through a many step process and home remedies. God bless them and enjoy. With that said, I have tried many of them and don't have the patients for all that any many don't work anyway.
Does anyone feel like I do and found a quick easy method? I just want to dump the coins or artifacts into something and come back later and maybe have to rinse them off. Are there any electrolysis machines or other similar gadgets on the market? Has anyone used tumblers made to clean ammunition casings? I'm willing to spend the money if there is something out there to make it simple and easy.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Bill

Use a Thumbler Tumbler. Fill about 1/3 full of coins to be cleaned. Fill with vinegar just enough to cover the coins. Add three or four tablespoons of salt. Tumble for one hour. Rinse coins real good when you take them off the tumbler. Be SURE to tumble pennies seperatly! No need for any other expensive cleaners. Cleans clad very nicely. Oh, be sure to 'burp' the Barrell after a few minutes and do this a couple of times. You will learn quickly to do this or the top will be popped off and leave a mess to clean up.

OP
OP
Can U Dig It

Can U Dig It

Feb 21, 2013
Mays Landing, N.J.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
James thanks for the advice. Just have a couple questions if you don't mine.
1. What do you mean a tumbler tumbler? Is it the round cylinders that spin around or the type used to clean ammo casings? If it's the cylinder type can it be used for artifacts with the same solution?
2. Is there a particular size and brand tumbler you would suggest?

Thanks,
Bill

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
James thanks for the advice. Just have a couple questions if you don't mine. 1. What do you mean a tumbler tumbler? Is it the round cylinders that spin around or the type used to clean ammo casings? If it's the cylinder type can it be used for artifacts with the same solution? 2. Is there a particular size and brand tumbler you would suggest? Thanks, Bill

You can by tumblers at a harbor freight store and electrolysis machines also.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want quick? Harbor Freight rotary tumbler not the vibratory bowl. Fill your container 2/3 full. Add 3 tablespoons of citric acid and a healthy pinch of aquarium gravel. Tumble for an hour or so. Rinse & roll. Citric acid can be bought from stores that sell home brewing supplies or from online spice stores. They come in 1 or 5 pound bags up to 50 lb containers. I've been using citric acid in restoration projects for over 6 years with excellent results. For electrolysis I use it in the bath with my plating rectifier hooked up to Stainless steel anodes. I can do anything from coins up to what ever will fit in a 55 gallon drum split lengthwise.

Also, I think it's easier to neutralize citric with a little baking soda than vinegar & salt. Please NOTE! This is what has given me the best results over many years of experimenting. It IS NOT the only way.

The vibratory bowls best used with the pyramid shaped media from harbor freight for cleaning or restoring hardware. It'll clean very rusty bolts without messing up the threads almost better than bead blasting.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your coins and jewelry are not valuable, just fill a jar half with water and half with Zep "Calcium, Lime and Rust" stain remover. Make sure you clean the copper coins separately from silver and iron (or the copper will plate everything). Wait for the foaming and bubbling to simmer down, about five minutes, and then rinse it off. Everything will be spotlessly clean and bright. Just don't breath the vapors while it's working. The Zep is at Home Depot and such, and it's cheap.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost forgot! If you use citric acid in an electrolysis bath a big plus is you don't have to worry about kids or the dog getting it on them. You can dump it down the drain without neutralizing.

On the funny side, take two or three crystals and let your dog lick your finger! My labby makes hysterical faces.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice is don't buy anything from harbor freight or anything made in China, bite the bullet and buy an American made tumbler from an American company please

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The Thumler's Tumblers are made in the USA and are very good units.
When I bought mine from a retailer I had a question about the setup. I called the company who makes them and
got to speak with the owner. We talked for half an hour and it was a very interesting conversation!
A great person and passionate about what they manufacture!

Best of Luck!

IMG_1279.JPG IMG_1280.JPG

Please see post on electrolysis cleaning:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/417715-cleaning-coins-jewelry-artifacts.html

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions