May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old cellar hole by me that gets hammered because there are so few where I live. I decided that my new approach would be to dig and sift the dirt in and around the cellar hole, where the ground is almost a constant iron signal from nails and junk. I think this will help me not only clear out some nails and iron bits, but help me find other random things like marbles and such!

I built on some other relic sifters that I have seen posted around the web and came up with this simple idea, then built it after work today. Basically it starts up folded up so you can carry it like a briefcase. You pull down the legs and once they're loose, they freely swing so that you can rock it back and forth to do the sifting. I used 1/2" machine cloth for the filter part, and attached it using drywall screws and washers.

DSC_0001.jpg DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0003.jpg DSC_0004.jpg DSC_0005.jpg

Last edited:

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
That is really cool. I have been wanting one for a while now. At the top of the legs where it joins the sifter, did you run a rod all the way through, or bolts on each side?

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool. I have been wanting one for a while now. At the top of the legs where it joins the sifter, did you run a rod all the way through, or bolts on each side?

Thank you! I assume you're talking about the "hinge" because that's the only place I used a bolt. I just used a normal bolt with washers on each end, then put a nut on the end until it was slightly snug, then welded the nut on in that position. I did one for each side instead of running one bolt through.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Helton, I really like that sifter. I have one that I built years ago made with 1/4" hardware cloth. It works well, but I guess i could step up to 3/8" and it would go a little quicker. Have you used it yet? I'm curious if it loses any small nails through it. There is one site I would like to sift that has a ton of small nails that are about 1" long. I'd probably lose a bunch through that 1/2" cloth. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on that.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Helton, I really like that sifter. I have one that I built years ago made with 1/4" hardware cloth. It works well, but I guess i could step up to 3/8" and it would go a little quicker. Have you used it yet? I'm curious if it loses any small nails through it. There is one site I would like to sift that has a ton of small nails that are about 1" long. I'd probably lose a bunch through that 1/2" cloth. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on that.

You know, I have used it and I was thinking of moving the opposite way. It felt like 1/2" was too big and that I was probably losing nails and things. I didn't see any in the dirt pile, and the dirt seemed pretty clean, but it just felt off. I think 3/8" would have been perfect but I only saw 1/4" and 1/2" and 1/4" seemed too small.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, I have used it and I was thinking of moving the opposite way. It felt like 1/2" was too big and that I was probably losing nails and things. I didn't see any in the dirt pile, and the dirt seemed pretty clean, but it just felt off. I think 3/8" would have been perfect but I only saw 1/4" and 1/2" and 1/4" seemed too small.

Good Golly Miss Molly, I really never looked for 3/8" hardware cloth before. I just did a little internet fishing and didnt get a single bite on 3/8". There are some small 3/8" soil sieves out there for gardeners, but none for folks like us. Think I should stick with the 1/4" mesh?

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I found some, but its pricely. Lookie: McMaster-Carr

No doubt it would be awesome though.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I found some, but its pricely. Lookie: McMaster-Carr

No doubt it would be awesome though.

wow that's way too much!

I think what I am going to try to do instead is make the thing flippable so that depending on the way you use it, you can either have 1/2" or 1/4" so that I can make the call in the field.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow that's way too much!

I think what I am going to try to do instead is make the thing flippable so that depending on the way you use it, you can either have 1/2" or 1/4" so that I can make the call in the field.

Thats a pretty decent idea. I'll keep an eye out for anything 3/8" that would be cheaper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread