Is there a site for sheaths for small hand diggers?

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
(2) Minelab E-Tracs, Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics G2+ LTD, Blisstool LTC64X V6 3 coil pkg, (2) Deteknix X-PinPointers, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Fisher F-Pulse PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about two separate pieces, the sheath and the belt attatchment. Using a rivet with a washer to both attatch them together and act as a swivel.

I was thinking along those lines... My thoughts centered around a multi-position ratcheting swivel between the belt attachment and the shealth that would hold it at a user slectable angle allowing it to be worn on either the left or right side of the body. My temporary solution was this for now: IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0313.JPG IMG_0315.JPG

I used a couple of Leather Hammer Holders and pull-ties... Allowing it much more flexability... You would only use the Leather belt loops to attach it to your belt... Couldn't try it out yet... Too cold with freezing rain.

Last edited:

joncutt87

Nov 2, 2014
concord, nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could use a rivet, and a machine screw in a radial slot on the front, that threads into a nylock nut on the back. That would allow ~45° of rotation, and allow you to keep the machine screw a little loose it could swing while you move.

Last edited:

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
(2) Minelab E-Tracs, Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics G2+ LTD, Blisstool LTC64X V6 3 coil pkg, (2) Deteknix X-PinPointers, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Fisher F-Pulse PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could use a rivet, and a machine screw in a radial slot on the front, that threads into a nylock nut on the back. That would allow ~45° of rotation, and allow you to keep the machine screw a little looses it could swing while you move.

I'm pretty sure I understand... Would the rivet act as a pivot point? By the way... I had a chance to try my Hammer Holster version above... It worked well here in the frozen tundra (bent my hand-held Lesche) of Michigan but along with some clad I found this: 63 class ring 1.JPG 63 class ring 2.JPG

Now to see if I can't return this 1963 Class ring to it's owner.

joncutt87

Nov 2, 2014
concord, nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The bottom rivet in a hole would be the pivot, and the machine screw in the quarter circle slot would act as a movement limiter/lockdown.

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The bottom rivet in a hole would be the pivot, and the machine screw in the quarter circle slot would act as a movement limiter/lockdown.

Nice. Today might have been my last hunt until Spring... I'm hoping to try your suggestion soon.

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked on a (different design) PVC Sheath for my IronClad Viking Digging tool (nicer version of the Lesche). I used what I had laying around the workshop and garage to form the 2" diameter PVC pipe. A Lesche would use a 1.5" diameter PVC pipe. I'm not crazy about the paint scheme, almost wish I would have left it un-painted. Here's some pictures: SAM_0095.JPG SAM_0096.JPG SAM_0097.JPG SAM_0098.JPG SAM_0099.JPG SAM_0100.JPG SAM_0101.JPG SAM_0102.JPG

Last edited:

swingbot

Jan 27, 2012
central Ca.
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If her digger is similar to the Lesche (blade wise) I would highly recommend the Buzz Wilson sheaths. Swing-bot (Buzz Wilson) on here, makes and sells them. I have the model where the digger and pinpointer are side-by-side (cheaper model) and it has probably been with me on 200 hunts and I would purchase another one if this one ever crapped out on me.

I am currently working on one that will fit my 3" Wilcox digger that I occasionally use when being conspicuous is desired.

I would also suggest one of Buzz's sheaths. It's a very well made product. I've run into Buzz a few times hunting at a local park and he's a good guy as well.

Hey guy, thanks for the shout out on the BOMB sheaths.

Hey Mark,, Whatz up! Yeah I got one for you bud.
wink.gif

Oh yeah,, Just to let you all know. I've made a custom sheath and it will be
given away seen on "American Digger" on line radio show.
http://relicroundup.blogspot.com/
So stay tuned and don't miss the show.

Attachments

• BOMB3.jpg
    BOMB3.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 196
  • BOMB2.jpg
    BOMB2.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 227
  • get n dirty.jpg
    get n dirty.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 247
  • MC.jpg
    MC.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 211
  • forsale.jpg
    forsale.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked on a (different design) PVC Sheath for my IronClad Viking Digging tool (nicer version of the Lesche). I used what I had laying around the workshop and garage to form the 2" diameter PVC pipe. A Lesche would use a 1.5" diameter PVC pipe. I'm not crazy about the paint scheme, almost wish I would have left it un-painted. Here's some pictures: View attachment 1123146 View attachment 1123148 View attachment 1123149 View attachment 1123151 View attachment 1123152 View attachment 1123153 View attachment 1123154 View attachment 1123156

Actually, the paint job looks pretty good. I see you got the width of the top of the Viking to slide in to the hilt. Most sheaths won't allow this due to the rivets.

Good job, gdzag.

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I eventually got my viking in the post, a great piece of work. Just got to find / make a sheath for it.

joncutt87

Nov 2, 2014
concord, nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sheaths are pretty easy to make out of leather if you're patient. This is one that I made the other week for my felling wedges. I'll be adding holders for my files and log vise to it soon.
20150419_144323.jpg
20150419_144315.jpg

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If her digger is similar to the Lesche (blade wise) I would highly recommend the Buzz Wilson sheaths. Swing-bot (Buzz Wilson) on here, makes and sells them. I have the model where the digger and pinpointer are side-by-side (cheaper model) and it has probably been with me on 200 hunts and I would purchase another one if this one ever crapped out on me.

I am currently working on one that will fit my 3" Wilcox digger that I occasionally use when being conspicuous is desired.
You mean this one? This is the one I bought from his ebay listing and it works great. Search ebay for "buzz bomb sheath", for anyone who is interested. This'll probably be the only sheath I'll ever need, due to the quality.

c9668bda1b03e00e0a553882d181195a.jpg

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

denwag

Nov 8, 2015
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
V3i, CTX3030, AT Pro, Garrett Carrot, TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make your own from Kydex. Very inexpensive and easy to learn how to do. You need a heat gun and some basic tools

Attachments

• kydex3.jpg
    kydex3.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 166
  • kydex2.jpg
    kydex2.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 164
  • kydex1.jpg
    kydex1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 20151024_094522.jpg
    20151024_094522.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 20151114_114026.jpg
    20151114_114026.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 178

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am I the only one that carries my digger and pinpointer in my other hand? I used to use all the accessories that came with everything...but it seems so much easier to carry them in the other hand and drop to the ground to dig.

Only thing i ever saw a need for was the finds/trash pouch. But I don't want to go out there looking like robocop..lol

I know this is an old thread but it caught my attention. I agree. I swing my detector with my right hand, carry my digger in the left or under my left arm, have my PP sheath on the right and pouch on the left.

I like to travel as light as possible so I can move as quickly and as efficiently as possible.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem with kydex is you would have to clean the digger pretty well before you can sheath it since it's so form fitting (unless you made it loose fitting).

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ironclad Viking Sheath

I gotta tell you Jadocs... My PVC pipe shown in an earlier post (page 2 of this thread) works perfectly for me. It's been a year and a half now and I couldn't be happier with it. I made some small modifications to it, but it is very easy to re-sheath and any dirt falls out of the bottom of the PVC sheath. Check it out: Ironclad Viking sheath A.jpg Ironclad Viking sheath C (2).jpg Ironclad Viking sheath C.jpg Ironclad Viking sheath D.jpg

Hot Rockin

Greenie
Aug 21, 2016
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up this leather pliers sheath at Menards for less than $5.
Fits my Garden Knife well. Perfect if it were an inch longer.

SAM_0305_2.JPG

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for some type of Military Molle pouch so I can attach it to my web gear. Otherwise it hangs great on my LBV from this neodium magnet.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    890.3 KB · Views: 92

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fil's PVC Sheath B (1).jpg Fil's PVC Sheath B (2).jpg Fil's PVC Sheath C.jpg

I did this search on GOOGLE:

"Military Molle knife pouch", once the results appeared... I, then, clicked on the "images" option at the top of the page.

There are plenty to choose from... give that a try. I don't want to be redundant, but you can make yourself a very nice sheath/holder for your tools out of PVC pipe. The advantage to the PVC version is that you can form it to your digger to fit your needs. I flared the opening of the sheath above (my wife's) to allow ease of re-sheathing and you can paint it any color you want, you can also make it hang higher or lower by lengthening or shortening the length of the belt tang. The last benefits I'll mention, is that you can easily re-form the shape of the PVC sheath afterwards with a heat gun and some cold running water and the beauty of this design... is that it's easy to clean and dirt falls out of the opening at the bottom. I forgot... If you want to change the attachment method you can incorporate a Velcro strap or a rare earth magnet attachment method instead of the belt loop set-up I used. There are round rare earth magnets with holes in the center to allow you to rivet them to the PVC sheath also... just a thought.

Best of luck,
Gerry

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread